Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
I just got a call from apple and this dude is saying my 90 days of phone support is over for my macbook pro and i should buy applecare,
now i asked him dont i have a year of applecare now?
he said that it wont cover my battery and other things if i dont get phone support! he said that they will charge me to talk to them from now on! this is crazy!

Is this true?? what did you guys do?

What if now i have a problem and i need service, they will charge me for calling support even when i have warranty?

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
AppleCare - MacBook Pro

img-support-mac.gif

Nickisgodofmacs

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
PA
But it still have a year of applecare, i dont want to but applecare for 2 years now.. im still covered so why should i pay to talk to them and get my mbp serviced like i did before?
My hp has a 1 year warranty and phone support as long as you have warranty thats crazy

Schneiderman you have the tech support not the phone support. Personally i was thinking like you but then things happen its a good safety net

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Schneiderman you have the tech support not the phone support. Personally i was thinking like you but then things happen its a good safety net

so you where in the same situation? you didnt have 90 days phone support but did call to get yours fixed with no charge?

Is that for like software help and stuff?
thanks

I dont understand apple, i went to my apple store to see if they can fix my iphone 1g because my screen didnt work after i didnt even have warranty for about a year and they just gave me a new iphone. now that i have warranty they give me trouble??

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I'm not sure if you or I are confused but here is the situation as it stands.

When you first purchase the machine, you get one year limited warranty and 90 days phone support.

With the limited warranty, you can bring it in the store and have it taken care of, likewise you can call them on the phone, tell them something and have them troubleshoot with your over the phone. Once the 90 days is up, however, what they should do is skip the troubleshooting part (since that's extra) and either direct you to the store or have you send it in. Software issues won't be supported.

I know it sucks but hey, its expensive to keep another person on the line lol. The genii will always help you in person but phone support is always seen as a premium option in the computing world.

By the way, if you plan on keeping your machine for a while, buy AppleCare whenever you have the cash, but you have to do this before the one year period is up. After the 357th day you are SOL. Applecare is an extension of the limited warranty; it will bring you up to a total of three years from the original MBP purchase date for phone and hardware, not two years from the time you purchase applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.