Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
The previous gen white MacBooks with the Intel GMAs had 3 negatives that were commonly mentioned by owners, being that the case cracks, they run hot and that the fans are always on/noisy. The case cracking I'd deal with if it happens, but before buying one I'd really like to know if the new white Nvidia MacBooks still have the issues with running hot and the fans being on all the time and being noisy? Can anyone who has owned both comment? Thanks.

reclusivemonkey

macrumors 6502
I have a refurb white macbook, previous gen to the ones that have just been updated. It runs at about 40-50 degrees centigrade whilst surfing/emailing etc. and only really heats up when watching videos online (watching HD in iTunes doesn't seem to tax it any way as much). The fan only kicks in once it reaches 70 degrees centigrade, so I very rarely hear it. I should imagine the improved graphics chip in the new ones can only improve this situation.

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
i believe the new one should run cooler when watching movies thanks to the nvidia card.

damov2

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Cambridge, uk
The previous gen white MacBooks with the Intel GMAs had 3 negatives that were commonly mentioned by owners, being that the case cracks, they run hot and that the fans are always on/noisy. The case cracking I'd deal with if it happens, but before buying one I'd really like to know if the new white Nvidia MacBooks still have the issues with running hot and the fans being on all the time and being noisy? Can anyone who has owned both comment? Thanks.

Mines nice and quiet and i've not noticed it get over 50C yet!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.