Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:16 AM   #1
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

Restore JUST iTunes library from Time Machine

A day ago, for an unknown reason, hundreds of my songs in my iTunes library lost their link location. I painstakingly got about 10% through refinding the location to each song but I got to thinking. Is there a way through Time Machine to just restore my library the way it was 2 days ago? Are there specific files I can copy over? Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Nikon D90:18-105 VR:35mm f/1.8:Flickr Project 365 Twitter
OrangeCuse44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
LTX
macrumors regular

I believe it it just the ~/Music/iTunes folder (~ being your username). That folder contains all the music files as well as the database files. Someone correct me if there's something else.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTX View Post
I believe it it just the ~/Music/iTunes folder (~ being your username). That folder contains all the music files as well as the database files. Someone correct me if there's something else.
I wouldn't have to copy the actual music files, right? My impression was I would need these database files you speak of. Can anyone clarify?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
LTX
macrumors regular

Yeah, as long as the music files haven't changed and are in the same locations, the database file should work (because it expects certain files to be there).

Last edited by LTX; Feb 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
LTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:55 AM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCuse44 View Post
I wouldn't have to copy the actual music files, right? My impression was I would need these database files you speak of. Can anyone clarify?
Are your music files inside the iTunes Library or are they "referenced". Sounds like the later. If they are inside then of course moving the entire library back for TM will fix everything. If they are referenced then restoring the library will only work if the music files have never been moved.

I've noticed that almost 100% of the problems posted here about lost files in iTunes, iPhoto and Aperture are from people trying to use "referenced" files. That should say something.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:09 PM   #6
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Are your music files inside the iTunes Library or are they "referenced". Sounds like the later. If they are inside then of course moving the entire library back for TM will fix everything. If they are referenced then restoring the library will only work if the music files have never been moved.

I've noticed that almost 100% of the problems posted here about lost files in iTunes, iPhoto and Aperture are from people trying to use "referenced" files. That should say something.
They are not referenced. iTunes keeps my music organized. So it seems I just need to recover the database files. Can anyone confirm what the exact files I need to recover are?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:04 PM   #7
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

Are these the database files? Which should I transfer from my Time Machine backup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	272
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	156160  
Old Feb 4, 2009, 01:40 AM   #8
johto
macrumors 6502

"../Music/iTunes Music" contains normally your whole physical music files too.
Dont know your situation, but anyways, yes you should just overwrite your whole ~/Music directory from the time machine. This should fix everything back to 2 days ago for iTunes.
johto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:48 PM   #9
dvdhsu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johto View Post
"../Music/iTunes Music" contains normally your whole physical music files too.
Dont know your situation, but anyways, yes you should just overwrite your whole ~/Music directory from the time machine. This should fix everything back to 2 days ago for iTunes.
No offence to the OP, but I would recommend that as well.
I guess you could just restore the two iTunes Database files you have there, but I don't think that would work.
Give it a try anyways though.
dvdhsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:32 AM   #10
svb
macrumors newbie

recover iTunes Library using Time Casule

Hi there,

First thread. (English is not my native language)

Look, I have solve this problem today and iTunes has its library totally recovered.
I haver read plenty of forums before trying to do this task.

My steps were simple and as follows:

1- I went to my Mac's finder and deleted the contents of the "Music" folder and then "empty trash". The folder is now empty.

2- I kept the Finder open and choose to open Time Machine.

3- the Finder window in the Time Machine, stays open. I went back in time a few days (to the day before I accidentally destroyed my music database) and then I choose "restore"

As planned, automatically the Time Machine environment goes away and the "copy" starts. For me it was around 40 minutes to restore 74 Gb.

After this, I did open iTunes and everything was there in the right place. Even all the movies and purchased music.

I hope this can help someone.
PS: I have been taking advantage of this forums for ages and it feels good to share some advice as well : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCuse44 View Post
A day ago, for an unknown reason, hundreds of my songs in my iTunes library lost their link location. I painstakingly got about 10% through refinding the location to each song but I got to thinking. Is there a way through Time Machine to just restore my library the way it was 2 days ago? Are there specific files I can copy over? Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
svb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help