Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barksducks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Hi all --

Hope this post won't be as long as my day has .... :)

I live in France and my nearest authorized dealer is 200 miles away, so I've been on the phone with support a couple of times and gone through various hoops. Now I'm hoping you can help me avoid a 3-hr drive.

Two days ago, my hard drive (or CPU?) started acting up. My Macbook Pro (bought May 07, 2.16 GHz, running 10.4.11) took a long time to boot, and then my desktop image appeared as a fragment along the top of the screen. Various processes started to hang the machine, during which time a repetitive sequence of ticking could be heard from inside the machine until whatever was wrong resolved itself. There were no program crashes and in fact the machine operated fine inbetween these hangs. I ran an extended hardware test, no problems there. Disk Utility, however, would not complete its verification, saying "the underlying task reported failure on exit". It stated that the HD needed to be repaired. However, the "repair disk" button was greyed out, disallowing the repair.

TechTool showed the directory scan failed, as did the volume structure test.

I tried numerous times to Safeboot, but the computer crashed (simply turned off suddenly) midway into the boot each time.

Apple Support had me zap the PRAM, clear the caches, and do that 15-second power-button thing with the battery out. All the log-in items that might have been slowing the boot were removed. This succeeded in getting the machine to boot faster and the desktop image returned.

However, both Verify Disk and TechTool showed the same problems, saying the disk needs to be repaired.

I have since backed everything up and would like to try to resolve this myself rather than driving it to the service centre. What are my next steps? I'd like to somehow avoid a clean install and have to reload everything ...

Thanks for your feedback.

barksducks

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Use the install disks that came with your MBP to repair the disk. Also it sounds like the HD is dying.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
You mean to do a clean install? Or to boot from TechTool??

Sorry I meant, boot from the install cd, and run Disk Utility through the install to repair your HD. However, the HD sounds like it's dying regardless (which is why it's hanging).

barksducks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Okay, so I did run Disk Utility from the install disk and the repair failed. So next step is the authorized service dealer, huh?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
You should try using techtool to run a surface scan of the hard drive. If that's bad, Apple owes you a new hard drive, if it's good, boot off the DVD taht came with your computer (or another leopard DVD), format, then reinstall.

However, I find that when a mac refuses to boot all of a sudden, it's usually a hardware conflict or defective hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.