Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:26 PM   #1
burger011
macrumors regular

DISKWARRIOR OR TECHTOOL 4???

Which one is better and if possible why?

Thanks
burger011 is offline   0
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:10 PM   #2
PalmHarborTchr
Banned

Diskwarrior works

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger011

Thanks
I can only tell you that DW kept me from having to do an
Archive and Install......It was a good investment and I got
it at the Apple Store per the Genius recommendation.
PalmHarborTchr is offline   0
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:02 AM   #3
nargot
macrumors regular

Quote:

Thanks
disk warrior has fixed the unfixable for me since version 1 many eon ago. It repairs your file structures and can resurrect files when others can't. Its optimisation function is slow, but it is extremely good as i necer have corrupt file probs
Old Mar 20, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

I haven't tried DiskWarrior but if you're looking for more than just disk repair, Tech Tool Pro 4 is exactly that. While it does disk repair and de-fragmentation, it also checks your hardware, so it's a better fit for me.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Mar 20, 2004, 04:34 PM   #5
evoluzione
macrumors 68010

i've used TTP and DW and DW has saved an iBook that nothing else would even want to know about. it took almost a day of rebuilding or whatever it did, but it did it, and did it extremely well. it's one of the very few utilities that i've bought for myself...(i tend to borrow that sort of thing but DW is well worth it)

I am Hando Jin, Hang Wong's son...

Last edited by Rower_CPU; Mar 20, 2004 at 05:11 PM.
evoluzione is offline   0
Old Mar 20, 2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Counterfit
macrumors 601

DW and TTP don't even do the same thing. Well, they both check the hard drive's SMART thing, but that's it. DW checks and rebuilds the disk's directory, and it's very good at that. TTP does just about everything else you could want. It's like Norton SystemWorks, except it actually works. So they complement each other fairly well. If you can afford it, get both.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 08:42 PM   #7
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
DW and TTP don't even do the same thing. Well, they both check the hard drive's SMART thing, but that's it. DW checks and rebuilds the disk's directory, and it's very good at that. TTP does just about everything else you could want. It's like Norton SystemWorks, except it actually works. So they complement each other fairly well. If you can afford it, get both.
TTP DOES check and rebuild the disks directory. I know because I have it and have done it.It does things like check/repair the Finder structure, the directory structure, optimize your hard drive, and many other things. TTP 4 is pretty good and I recommend it. I'm not saying its any better than DW because I've never used DW.
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0
Old Mar 20, 2004, 08:46 PM   #8
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklos
TTP DOES check and rebuild the disks directory. I know because I have it and have done it.It does things like check/repair the Finder structure, the directory structure, optimize your hard drive, and many other things. TTP 4 is pretty good and I recommend it. I'm not saying its any better than DW because I've never used DW.
Well hey, it does! I haven't used it in TTP4, but DW works wonders. If you have the money, I still say get them both though.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Simon Liquid
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Simon Liquid
Wink re:DISKWARRIOR OR TECHTOOL 4???

Quote:
Neither one will fix that sticky shift key you got there. j/k
Simon Liquid is offline   0
Old Mar 20, 2004, 11:39 PM   #10
nargot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
Well hey, it does! I haven't used it in TTP4, but DW works wonders. If you have the money, I still say get them both though.
I have heard alot of bad things about the latest versions of TTP... will have to look around for some, i used to use it in combo with disk warrior under OS 9 and that combination alone would fix everything. Unless things have drastically changed i assume that combination DW and TTP will fix most things, where one alone will leave critical problems.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 01:49 AM   #11
JFreak
macrumors 68040

ttp comes with applecare, right? is there any major difference between that and the latest version?
JFreak is offline   0
Old Mar 21, 2004, 02:12 AM   #12
nargot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak
ttp comes with applecare, right? is there any major difference between that and the latest version?
Well i just checked all my ibook propaganda, and the applecare brochure said that you get techtools deluxe. I didn't get it with mine so i have a call to make about that i think.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews