Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
first of all, how come i get the suckiest clients? :)

anyway, i've got this design for a website, with a vertical navigation menu on the left, i've added popup menus to each button through Fireworks with links to sections and sub-sections.
when you hover over each button you get the popup as usual.
this popup -again as usual- appears on top of all other text on the site.
what this dude wants is for the text in my main content div to dim or fade out a bit when the popup appears...
any ideas?
let me know if i'm not making sense :D
thank you!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You'll probably want to add a hover effect that is applied to the nav menu in general that calls a function that will do the effect. I'm not sure if the Fireworks stuff may get in the way. Can you provide some code to see your setup?

If you use JavaScript frameworks like jQuery they have built-in functions for doing dims and the like. Do you want to utilize that or have something else?

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
here is a demo
the thing is - and don't get me wrong - that the money i'm getting for this doesn't really justify a lot of delving into lots of javascript...
i don't know how jquery and fireworks outputted javascript play well with each other...

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
here is a demo
the thing is - and don't get me wrong - that the money i'm getting for this doesn't really justify a lot of delving into lots of javascript...
i don't know how jquery and fireworks outputted javascript play well with each other...

At least currently, the site is done with sliced graphics inside a table. There's no real text or content. If you turn off images there's just a blank white page left. The idea I had can't be applied to this type of page, at least not the way I originally was thinking. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
the idea is that there will be textual content inside the grey box in the center.
the demo was done so that the client could see two different forms of navigation and they chose this one, much to my disappointment, cause it's got popups coming from practically everywhere...
anyway, the box in the centre will be a div with the image of the box as a background and so on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.