Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
If you're using a Mac, and you're on 10.5.6 you might want to take a quick read of this before attempting to jailbreak.

10.5.6, or the late 2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro, will not let the iPhone enter DFU mode, which is vital for jailbreaking.

To fix this, the most simple way is to use a powered USB hub. Just stick that into your Macs USB port, then your iPhone into the hub.

For a more 'permanent' fix, then try the Dev Teams solution:
Replace the following plugin kexts from within IOUSBFamily.kext with the ones from 10.5.5 and then rebuild kextcache (if you don’t understand this, then you shouldn’t attempt it!)

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Oh, and you can always use Windows :p

I just made this thread to help the people not being able to get their phone jailbroken, because there are quite a lot of people that don't realise this is their problem :D

If anything is not quite right, post what should be changed/added and I'll edit this.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
If you're using a Mac, and you're on 10.5.6 you might want to take a quick read of this before attempting to jailbreak.

10.5.6, or the late 2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro, will not let the iPhone enter DFU mode, which is vital for jailbreaking.

To fix this, the most simple way is to use a powered USB hub. Just stick that into your Macs USB port, then your iPhone into the hub.

For a more 'permanent' fix, then try the Dev Teams solution:
Replace the following plugin kexts from within IOUSBFamily.kext with the ones from 10.5.5 and then rebuild kextcache (if you don’t understand this, then you shouldn’t attempt it!)

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Oh, and you can always use Windows :p

I just made this thread to help the people not being able to get their phone jailbroken, because there are quite a lot of people that don't realise this is their problem :D

If anything is not quite right, post what should be changed/added and I'll edit this.

I think this post is not quite right. There's about eleventy billion threads that already contain this information. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.