Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google announced a new location tracking feature of Google Maps that will allow you to share your current location with your friends and family. The new service is called Latitude:
Latitude is a new feature of Google Maps for mobile, as well as an iGoogle gadget, that allows you to share your location with your friends and to see their approximate locations, if they choose to share them with you. You can use your Google account to sign in and easily invite friends to Latitude from your existing list of contacts or by entering their email addresses. Google Talk is integrated with Latitude, so you and your friends can update your status messages and profile photos on the go and see what everyone is up to. You can also call, SMS, IM, or email each other within the app.
Google addresses privacy concerns in a FAQ and notes that the entire service is opt-in. While launching initially on BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Android and Symbian S60, Google hopes to release an iPhone version soon.

This video shows how the service works:

See Article for Video: Google 'Latitude' Location Tracking Coming to iPhone

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Something makes me think this is going to make headlines someday...in a bad way. Something like "Stalker Uses 'Latitude' To Kidnap Ex-Girlfriend."

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I wonder if Loopt has Poopt their pants as a result of Google entering their space. :eek:

kramden88

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
NJ, USA
Instead of the classic pop-in lines "I was in the neighborhood" or "I saw your light was on," now it'll be "Latitude told me you'd be here." There will be no escape now!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Most of the time I will opt out. But in certain cases, being able to enable this would be great.

In particular, when I'm in a large area (park, zoo, shopping district, hiking trail, campus, parking lot) with friends and we split up. With Latitude we could find each other again when we want to, without making a big production out of choosing a time and place and calling all parties.

Instead of the classic pop-in lines "I was in the neighborhood" or "I saw your light was on," now it'll be "Latitude told me you'd be here." There will be no escape now!

And you could use Latitude, but still SAY the old excuses. "I was in your tree and saw you were done with your shower." "I was on your roof and heard you get off the phone." Etc.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Cool app. I can see how this may cause some problems if the significant other demands you to declare your location.

Anyways, it would be nice to be able to IM from this app. I wonder if push is going to implemented with it :)confused:) or it will run in the background.

I just hope the GPS works well with it. I have Amigo Mapper and the GPS is inaccurate with this app - depending on how often it checks your location. With every 20 second checking, it takes about 1.5 minutes to get a good GPS reading.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
i wonder if this will eventually take over loopt and similar programs. Google is so big, they have the resources to do what they want.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Google is watching you!

Exactly. So let's sum it up:

1) Google knows what sites you visit
2) Google knows who emails you and who you email
3) Google knows who your friends and family are
4) Google knows WHERE you and your friends are
5) Google knows ALL!

Welcome to planet Google!

-Kevin

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
this is a great idea..., but i wish i could disable it anytime I WANT.

I dont want google and my friends to know where i am all the time!

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
And the point of this is....???

The best use I can see coming is having parents track their party hungry teenage kids..

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
How useful is this without the ability to run in the background? And how well does it work when my phone is in my pocket? It seems like without both those things, this wouldn't work very well.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd want it integrated into the iPhone's own Maps app. One stop for all mapping needs.

Cool app. I can see how this may cause some problems if the significant other demands you to declare your location.

If you have that kind of significant other, you have serious problems already... regardless of what software they use.

this is a great idea..., but i wish i could disable it anytime I WANT.

I dont want google and my friends to know where i am all the time!

As the FAQ explains, you can disable it--in fact it IS disabled unless you wish to turn it on. And you can even choose which friends can see you, or report a location that isn't true. (Show you at work when you're really out on the lake sailing, etc.)

How useful is this without the ability to run in the background? And how well does it work when my phone is in my pocket? It seems like without both those things, this wouldn't work very well.

Good point--although you and your friends who are at a certain event (which is how I'd use it) could agree to turn it on. Still, it would be nice if Apple put this in Maps, and made periodic updates (every 30 seconds?) continue when the app is "closed." Apple's own apps have such privileges. A menu bar icon could remind you that you've left it on.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Exactly. So let's sum it up:

1) Google knows what sites you visit
2) Google knows who emails you and who you email
3) Google knows who your friends and family are
4) Google knows WHERE you and your friends are
5) Google knows ALL!

Welcome to planet Google!

-Kevin

This is precisely why Lucius Fox quit Google.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'd want it integrated into the iPhone's own Maps app. One stop for all mapping needs.

I'm hoping for that too. I don't want Google Maps, Google Earth, Google App, AND Google Latitude now on my phone. I'm hoping some (or all) can be combined.

As the FAQ explains, you can disable it--in fact it IS disabled unless you wish to turn it on. And you can even choose which friends can see you, or report a location that isn't true. (Show you at work when you're really out on the lake sailing, etc.)

Wow -- so instead of people worrying that this will foil their plans to cheat on their significant other, this app can now AID them in their cheating -- by showing them somewhere where they're not? Wow... ;-)

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I'm hoping for that too. I don't want Google Maps, Google Earth, Google App, AND Google Latitude now on my phone. I'm hoping some (or all) can be combined.

That would be great, but then you'd get the 'bloatware' crowd complaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.