Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

Kansas City Apple Store?

infoAppleStore is reporting a tip of a new Apple store coming to Kansas City.

Quote:
I love barbeque and I love baseball, which took me 1,791 miles east to Kansas City (Kan.), where both are king. I started by visiting Gates & Sons Bar-B-Q (1026 State Ave.), where the noise level is high and the ribs are meaty. After sitting down with my rib slab, beans and potato salad, I got to talking with a guy wearing a "T-Bones" baseball cap. Turns out the guy's a cousin of someone who's a friend of one of the players--- and a Macintosh user. He told me some good news! Apple is coming to town, possibly on this side of the river, next the CommunityAmerica Ballpark, and inside the gigantic new The Legends mall.
If this and the earlier Pittsburgh rumor are both true, then the top two metro areas without an Apple store will soon no longer head that list. If it is true that it is on the Kansas side of the border that the store is going to be located it will be the first in that State.
Sayhey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:45 PM   #2
flyfish29
macrumors 68020

BBQ

Have to say this is great news for KC. There are three locations where an Apple Store would do very well. The Plaza and Oak Park Mall would be great locations on top of where they think the suspected store will be which is near the Nascar track they just put in KC, Kansas.

Off topic: Haywards and Arthur bryants BBQ are as good or better than Gates, but with Gates you get the atmosphere which can't be beat. the moment you enter the restaurant they yell out "HI, May I Help You?" even if they are not ready to take your specific order...it is there way of greeting you. If you ever get to KC, visit Gates as well as others. Also the Negro League Museum.
flyfish29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 02:26 PM   #3
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
I didn't know they were going to put a mall up there. I was hoping that they would put an Apple Store in Oak Park Mall because that is near where I work. Up north where that mall is supposed to go is the NASCAR track, a minor leage ballpark, Cabelas (outdoors/hunting) and Nebraska Furniture Mart (super, super huge store).

Either place would be good.
bbarnhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 02:35 PM   #4
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayhey
infoAppleStore is reporting a tip of a new Apple store coming to Kansas City.

If this and the earlier Pittsburgh rumor are both true, then the top two metro areas without an Apple store will soon no longer head that list. If it is true that it is on the Kansas side of the border that the store is going to be located it will be the first in that State.
Yes, so I think this would be the new list of top metro areas w/o a store

1 - San Antonio, TX*
2 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
3 - New Orleans, LA
4 - Salt Lake City, UT
5 - Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC*
6 - Nashville, TN
7 - Providence, RI*
8 - Rochester, NY
9 - Grand Rapids, MI
10 - Oklahoma City, OK

I put asterisks by places where I know of a store/planned store within 70 miles.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 03:55 PM   #5
flyfish29
macrumors 68020

I just received an email from the guy who runs the IFO Applestore.com site and he said it is on the Country Club Plaza and not up north in KCK.
flyfish29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish29
I just received an email from the guy who runs the IFO Applestore.com site and he said it is on the Country Club Plaza and not up north in KCK.
Certainly makes more sense.
Flowbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:25 PM   #7
stoid
macrumors 68040

Please Apple! Please put one near me! I promise I'll make it worth your while!
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:52 PM   #8
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish29
Seems like Gary changed his post after I posted it here. This is the "new" news.

Quote:
I love barbeque and I love baseball, which took me 1,791 miles east to Kansas City (Kan.), where both are king. I started by visiting Gates & Sons Bar-B-Q (1026 State Ave.), where the noise level is high and the ribs are meaty. After sitting down with my rib slab, beans and potato salad, I got to talking with a guy wearing a "T-Bones" baseball cap. Turns out the guy's a cousin of someone who's a friend of one of the players--- and a Macintosh user. He told me some good news! Apple is coming to town, but on the other side of the river, as part of the outdoor (and very scenic) Country Club Plaza shopping district.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger

1 - San Antonio, TX*
2 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
3 - New Orleans, LA
4 - Salt Lake City, UT
5 - Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC*
6 - Nashville, TN
7 - Providence, RI*
8 - Rochester, NY
9 - Grand Rapids, MI
10 - Oklahoma City, OK

I put asterisks by places where I know of a store/planned store within 70 miles.
It looks right to me!
Sayhey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:50 PM   #9
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger

7 - Providence, RI*

My dream would be for Apple to put a store in the South Shore area of Massachusetts. What we could use is a Flag Ship Store in the Tri State area of CT, RI, & MA. The we could have a fun bag give away at the opening. Maybe a visit from the Steve man himself.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:16 PM   #10
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlove
My dream would be for Apple to put a store in the South Shore area of Massachusetts. What we could use is a Flag Ship Store in the Tri State area of CT, RI, & MA. The we could have a fun bag give away at the opening. Maybe a visit from the Steve man himself.
That'd be great, but, with, what, 4 Apple Stores within 40 miles of Boston (Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, Peabody, and Salem [NH]), I doubt they'll add another one soon... plus we all know Steve doesn't want to come to Boston (see MacWorld Boston thread).

Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:25 PM   #11
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
That'd be great, but, with, what, 4 Apple Stores within 40 miles of Boston (Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, Peabody, and Salem [NH]), I doubt they'll add another one soon... plus we all know Steve doesn't want to come to Boston (see MacWorld Boston thread).

They could always close one of the three. If not 4 would be just right in our large metropolitan area. The Chestnut Hill Store is small, no theater with limited software available. I still haven't given up on Apple and Steve coming to Boston in July.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 05:53 PM   #12
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
Also on ifoapplestore, it mentions Ron Johnson will be speaking at the Succes by design conference at the Providence convention center. Ironically, this is also about a stones throw from the Providence Place mall.... a perfect place to put an apple store! (also one of the nicest malls I have ever seen.)

Also, even though there is an apple store in Boston, it is a pain to get to in traffic. I ends up being about a 2-2.5 hour drive round trip.

Last edited by latergator116; Mar 19, 2004 at 05:58 PM.
latergator116 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events