Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Personally I think this is hilarious:

After taking the stage at the TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) conference, the former CEO of Microsoft declared, "Not only poor people should experience this," and let loose a swarm of mosquitoes on the crowd. It almost (but only almost) makes sense when you realize that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has spent millions of dollars and immeasurable amounts of man-hours to end malaria.

The completely out of character antics quickly made their way around the Internet thanks to Twitter. The tech elite on hand, such as Dave Morin, manager of Facebook; Ev Williams, CEO of Twitter; and eBay founder Pierre Omidyar all reported the swarm as it was unfolding.

Link

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
haha, i like it!

a little crazy, but brings the point home

hopefully it doesn't back fire as far as donations go

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
haha, i like it!

a little crazy, but brings the point home

hopefully it doesn't back fire as far as donations go

I can see that headline *Bill Gates kills Hundreds of CEO's with Malaria Carrying Mosquitoes*

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Lost his mind but making a much needed point about malaria?

It seems to be an effective way of getting the point across and publicity.

Very clever if you ask me.

Gatorman

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2002
Florida
That fact that you think he's lost his mind because he made quite a ballsy statement says more about you than him.

That I wouldn't release mosquitos onto a group of people? Or I don't believe in educating people on a matter by using a practice that results in causing panic, fear, and distress at the fact that they could be infected with Malaria? Well, I suppose it does say a lot about me, then.

While it was a unique method to get his point across, I have to disagree with it entirely. I believe that there are other ways at educating people on important matters, rather than leading to believe that their general health is in jeopardy......ESPECIALLY AT A TECH EXPO! To me, this is no different than someone educating on maladies of chemical and biological warfare and then tossing flour in front of a fan and calling it anthrax, later to reveal that there's no harm done.

So, as one who has taken a Hippocratic Oath to never deliberate harm to anyone for anyone else's interest and keep the good of the patient as the highest priority, I suppose it DOES say a lot about me. I prefer to get the point across using other measures that preserves the well being of an individual, as opposed to using scare tactics to spread my message. I may not be "ballsy" in my approach, but I do prefer to look out for my fellow man.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
That I wouldn't release mosquitos onto a group of people, causing panic, fear, and distress at the fact that they could be infected with Malaria?

So you see you have missed his point.

That is what millions of people around the world live with… daily…

A much needed reminder.
He keeps rising in my esteem.

Now Apple's CEO on the other hand… :rolleyes:

PS.
No, those weren't malaria carrying mosquitoes…

ejb190

macrumors 65816
A swarm of mosquitoes? A SWARM? What where there in that little jar? 20? 50 lab raised mosquitoes? And how many people were in the room? And given that half the insects were probably males, which don't feed on blood... This is just another example of the media using sensationalist writing to change the focus from Malaria to slander the reputation of a man who is doing something truly important with his wealth. And I despise Microsoft as much as the next Mac fan...

Malaria is serious stuff, as is Yellow Fever, West Nile Virus, and other mosquito-borne diseases. I hope Bill managed to open some eyes to the importance of what he is doing with his foundation.

And don't even get me started about how this illustrated the ignorance the developed world has of nature and the world around them.

Sorry, something about the way this was reported touched a nerve there.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I can see that headline *Bill Gates kills Hundreds of CEO's with Malaria Carrying Mosquitoes*

That's one way to jump start the economy.;) Get rid of the "old boys network" that got us into this mess to begin with and have a new batch of CEO's step in.:D Now, were those mosquitoes male or female? Only the females are blood suckers.

Edit: D'oh. A little late on the trivial tidbits.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
So you see you have missed his point.

That is what millions of people around the world live with… daily…

A much needed reminder.

Now Apple's CEO on the other hand… :rolleyes:

PS.
No, those weren't malaria carrying mosquitoes…

I think there was something very much on these lines lately

What was it.... Something like "while the World sees the one of it's most brilliant spending time in charity and welfare of the planet after nearly fulfilling his dream of a computer on every desk, Steve Jobs the one man capable of taking Gates thrown of intelligence will be remebered as the cunning sadist who never left his founded company till the very end"......
I'm way off but it's ok these lines... Now if I can fond where it was....

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
They should sue him. I heard he's rich.

A much needed reminder.

Now Apple's CEO on the other hand…

So he goes robber baron / convicted monopolistic for three decades amassing billions and then he spends the last few years giving away a portion his monopoly booty and he "rises" in your esteem.

If I rob banks for a living then give away some money when I turn sixty I hope I raise in your self esteem too!

Not.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
If I rob banks for a living then give away some money when I turn sixty I hope I raise in your self esteem too!

Not.
Bill Gates robbed banks? Wow! I thought he developed a very succesful Operating System and played the capitalist system to make himself (and quite a few others) very rich.
Robbery had nothing to do with it.

I hope I raise in your self esteem too!
No. You won't. Because someone with their head so far up their fan boy ar** that they can't think clearly doesn't deserve any estimation…
:rolleyes:

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
That I wouldn't release mosquitos onto a group of people? Or I don't believe in educating people on a matter by using a practice that results in causing panic, fear, and distress at the fact that they could be infected with Malaria? Well, I suppose it does say a lot about me, then.

While it was a unique method to get his point across, I have to disagree with it entirely. I believe that there are other ways at educating people on important matters, rather than leading to believe that their general health is in jeopardy......ESPECIALLY AT A TECH EXPO! To me, this is no different than someone educating on maladies of chemical and biological warfare and then tossing flour in front of a fan and calling it anthrax, later to reveal that there's no harm done.

So, as one who has taken a Hippocratic Oath to never deliberate harm to anyone for anyone else's interest and keep the good of the patient as the highest priority, I suppose it DOES say a lot about me. I prefer to get the point across using other measures that preserves the well being of an individual, as opposed to using scare tactics to spread my message. I may not be "ballsy" in my approach, but I do prefer to look out for my fellow man.

I agree. That was outrageous behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.