Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Frohickey
macrumors 6502a

Detectives question Stephen Hawking

Hawking questioned on 'abuses'

ASTROPHYSICIST Stephen Hawking has been questioned by detectives about alleged abuses that reportedly left him with a series of unexplained injuries, police said today.

Hawking, 62, who is paralysed by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, was interviewed yesterday by Cambridgeshire police at Papworth Hospital, said force spokesman Tony Taylorson.

------

Sad... very sad.
Someone needs to invent a Type 2 phaser set to stun controlled via ocular movement!
Frohickey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 01:01 PM   #2
srobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohickey
Sad... very sad.
Someone needs to invent a Type 2 phaser set to stun controlled via ocular movement!
He probably was savegely beated by a young 59 years old frustrated scientist stud who disagreed on his model of the universe. Or maybe his voice synthetizer said something nasty to Victoria and she slapped him back. (Get that one?)

No, seriously, this is sad. whou would do such a thing.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 01:23 PM   #3
aricher
macrumors 68020

Not sure if this is true or not but I heard that Hawking's voice box was invented by the ex-husband of Hawking's current wife. The creepy thing about this is that the synthesized voice is that of it's inventor thus Hawking's wife is listening to her ex's voice. Anyone else hear this?

Pity if the abuse rumors are true.
aricher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 02:16 PM   #4
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
No, seriously, this is sad. whou would do such a thing.
His wife allegedly...
Old Mar 18, 2004, 02:24 PM   #5
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohickey
Hawking questioned on 'abuses'

ASTROPHYSICIST Stephen Hawking has been questioned by detectives about alleged abuses that reportedly left him with a series of unexplained injuries, police said today.

Hawking, 62, who is paralysed by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, was interviewed yesterday by Cambridgeshire police at Papworth Hospital, said force spokesman Tony Taylorson.

------

Sad... very sad.
Unable to find requested news story as link posted above. That is very sad that someone would abuse an invalid for any reason. I pray that Stephen will be OK.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 03:54 PM   #6
krimson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to krimson
i thought i had read this a few months ago.. hopefully it isn't a new case.. but possibly his wife was trying to beat the unified string theory outta him...

Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the Mac Folding team!
krimson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Krizoitz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlove
Unable to find requested news story as link posted above. That is very sad that someone would abuse an invalid for any reason. I pray that Stephen will be OK.
I would have to say that its sad when ANYONE is abused, but I do agree that this is a sad story if true. Maybe he was wrestling with a black hole?
Krizoitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:16 PM   #8
coopdog
macrumors 6502a

I thought he abused someone. Nevermind.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:52 PM   #9
Bigheadache
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson
i thought i had read this a few months ago.. hopefully it isn't a new case.. but possibly his wife was trying to beat the unified string theory outta him...
its a continuation of the same story, he keeps refusing to press charges and tell the cops what happened.
Bigheadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:55 AM   #10
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Quote:
Or maybe his voice synthetizer said something nasty to Victoria and she slapped him back. (Get that one?)
Fred v. Victoria... Who would win that fight.

But in all seriouly, who would pick on a man With Lou Gerigh's Disease (ALS). Especially if he is the most brilliant scientist of the last 25-30 years.

TEG
Old Mar 19, 2004, 05:34 AM   #11
slowtreme
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson
but possibly his wife was trying to beat the unified string theory outta him...
Hawking didn't discover the Unified String Theory. I forget the name of the guy that unified all the different theory's during his speach a few years ago. It was in this program The Elegant Universe
Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:32 AM   #12
srobert
macrumors 68020

edited: removed links

Last edited by srobert; Mar 21, 2004 at 12:20 AM.
srobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 05:18 PM   #13
Mac|caM
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtreme
Hawking didn't discover the Unified String Theory. I forget the name of the guy that unified all the different theory's during his speach a few years ago. It was in this program The Elegant Universe
String Theory (or Unified Field Theory) has been around for about 20 years, and has been elaborated on by many scientists. Brian Greene (who wrote The Elegant Universe) is simply a string theorist who has made it accessible to many non-scientists.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:02 PM   #14
slowtreme
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac|caM
String Theory (or Unified Field Theory) has been around for about 20 years, and has been elaborated on by many scientists. Brian Greene (who wrote The Elegant Universe) is simply a string theorist who has made it accessible to many non-scientists.
String Theory had MANY different versions (I think 4 majors) until about 5 years ago, when one guy proved mathmatically that all the theories were actually the same (Unified). The nova show I linked to had a segment about this "breakthrough". Of course all he did was link the previously unproven theories together. They still have little proof or meaning to the layperson.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:21 PM   #15
Frohickey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG
Fred v. Victoria... Who would win that fight.

But in all seriouly, who would pick on a man With Lou Gerigh's Disease (ALS). Especially if he is the most brilliant scientist of the last 25-30 years.

TEG
dunno about that... when you start claiming someone is the 'most' of one thing.

I guess ever since Einstein, the media had always wanted to put the mantle of brilliant scientist on one person.
Frohickey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:45 PM   #16
voicegy
macrumors 65816

His former wife, Jane Hawking, who wrote a memoir about their time together, has urged police to investigate the reported abuses he suffered.

Hawking has dismissed allegations that he was assaulted or abused at his home in Cambridge as "completely false"

So, what gives? If the man himself has dismissed the alleged abuse, then I smell the deisre for lawsuit money from the ex-wife.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 12:13 AM   #17
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
[VOICE BOX] I call it a "Hawking Hole". [/VOICE BOX]

>Click me for funny sound <

You know each of those pictures and sound bites don't work unless you copy/paste them into a new empty window right?

BTW, Futurama rules.

Yeah hawking said there was no abuse... case closed.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events