Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
I have a new Ipod, 120gb. Lovely.

It's connected to my pc and the screen on the pod says that it is syncing, and not to disconnect it.

On the iTunes screne on the pc it says pretty much the same thing, except that it's sycning about 3500 photos.

The thing is, when I look in Explorer I cannot see any files of ANY kind in the iPod. Funny that, as I was sure that a bunch of music files had been transferred earlier.

Is what's going on 'syncing' going on on the pc side or is the iPod involved at this stage?

Thanks for reading.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Ok, done that, thanks. Still doesn't appear to be anything on the Pod as yet.

Perhaps I have to wait until it's finished sycning?

jmann

macrumors 604
Ok, done that, thanks. Still doesn't appear to be anything on the Pod as yet.

Perhaps I have to wait until it's finished sycning?

Well once it is done syncing you should unplug the ipod and check and all of the files should be viewable/playable on the ipod. Also music will only get synced over if you have it set to sync automatically. Or you can manually put songs and videos on it by checking the "manually manage music/videos" check box under one of the ipod tabs in itunes.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Does the iPod act in the same way as windows where if you drag and drop any pre-existing file will be over-written (and prompt if so)?

jmann

macrumors 604
Does the iPod act in the same way as windows where if you drag and drop any pre-existing file will be over-written (and prompt if so)?

Well with the ipod, you should only sync music/photos over through itunes. If you choose automatic syncing then whatever is on your itunes library will get mirrored on your ipod. You should only drag/drop if you are using the ipod as an external drive to store other types of files on. Dragging/dropping music/photos in windows explorer will not work.

But yes if you drag over any pre existing file in windows it should get replaced with the new one (with a prompt)

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Hmm, because the sequence of events today was this:

iPod arrived in box, I unpacked it and managed to get the language stuck on Chinese/mandarin/Japanese/whatever.

So the advice on the forum was to reset the pod, which was done on the itunes screen, but not before quite a few albums had been automatically transferred from the pc (that seemed to happen automatically).

But the restore action required a pc restart. After that was over, I went back to the itunes screen but nothing happened that I could see, so I selected a load of albums in Explorer and dragged them across to the itune screen with the already-loaded music albums.

Ever since the pod has been synching but now it's just doing the photos off the pc, yet I cannot 'see' in Explorer any files (in itunes I can see the first load of music albums loaded.

Sorry to be so long winded about this explanation. It's just the best way I have of repeating the sequence of events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.