Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Does it?

Sorry, this is on the Early 08 model, non unibody.

Thanks.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
D) Can't determine from given information.

Technically, yes, but this is on the first generation macbook pros (the non unibodies) and only if you break something in the process. If you need your machine serviced and apple deems you broke it because of third party ram or HDD they will simply remove the component and send your machine back.

The unibody machines have user replaceable hard disks.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

This question has been asked soooo many times. And the same conflicting answers are given every time.

It does not void the warranty. If you damage the machine during the upgrade process that damage is not covered.

If you send the machine back to Apple for service and do not put the original HD back in, you may get the machine back with a new drive of the original size. They warn you to back up data before you send it off as they may replace components to effect repairs.

We tend to use local authorized service centers because they don't care about upgrades and only fix the problem you complain about. They also don't really care about dents and cracks that might otherwise be rejected by Apple service technicians.

If you have the newer 15 inch MBP HD replacement is simple. The older units require some disassembly to get to the HD.

Cheers,

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
This question has been asked soooo many times. And the same conflicting answers are given every time.

It does not void the warranty. If you damage the machine during the upgrade process that damage is not covered.

If you send the machine back to Apple for service and do not put the original HD back in, you may get the machine back with a new drive of the original size. They warn you to back up data before you send it off as they may replace components to effect repairs.

We tend to use local authorized service centers because they don't care about upgrades and only fix the problem you complain about. They also don't really care about dents and cracks that might otherwise be rejected by Apple service technicians.

If you have the newer 15 inch MBP HD replacement is simple. The older units require some disassembly to get to the HD.

Cheers,

Wait. They won't give you back your swapped HD? That doesn't sound right, as they are basically stealing your drive without telling you. Can you tell them you have a "3rd party" (all drives are third-party) drive installed and not to take it?

I worry about this because I am planning on installing a 320GB HD in my MBP in the near future and don't want to run the risk of losing it if/when I have to send in my MBP for repair due to 8600 failing.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Wait. They won't give you back your swapped HD? That doesn't sound right, as they are basically stealing your drive without telling you. Can you tell them you have a "3rd party" (all drives are third-party) drive installed and not to take it?

I worry about this because I am planning on installing a 320GB HD in my MBP in the near future and don't want to run the risk of losing it if/when I have to send in my MBP for repair due to 8600 failing.

Just keep your original and pop it back in when sending it out, just in case.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
For MBP's it voids the warranty, UNLESS you get an Apple authorized service person to do it for you.

For MBs it doesn't void the warranty at all if you DIY. (Apple even provides a DIY guide on its website).

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I just had some work done on my MBP... two repairs actually.

The first repair, they left my 320GB hard drive alone and did the work.

Second repair, they took out the 320GB, put in a brand new 120GB (stock size) and returned the 320GB to me... seems really stupid as none of the repairs hard anything to do with the hard drive, and they basically gave me a free drive.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
One Word: NO

Forget the garbage other people are writing in this thread, changing the Hard Drive DOES NOT void your Warranty or Applecare.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
For MBP's it voids the warranty, UNLESS you get an Apple authorized service person to do it for you.

For MBs it doesn't void the warranty at all if you DIY. (Apple even provides a DIY guide on its website).

I'm pretty sure it doesn't void your warranty on the MBP seeing as a Genius at my local Apple Store told me I could do it myself without any problems if I knew what I was doing. So ya..... Unless he lied to me, I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Will double-check with a Genius tonight when I go pick up my MBP from repairs.

I just had some work done on my MBP... two repairs actually.

The first repair, they left my 320GB hard drive alone and did the work.

Second repair, they took out the 320GB, put in a brand new 120GB (stock size) and returned the 320GB to me... seems really stupid as none of the repairs hard anything to do with the hard drive, and they basically gave me a free drive.

Thanks for the heads up, makes me feel better about replacing it myself. To be safe, I will probably just make SURE to tell them that I have a new drive installed.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
yes, no, yes, no

Just call apple and find out for yourself. I did, and they said yes it voids your warranty. Then I called a local apple store and guess what they said? No it doesn't!! So I called apple again and was told that it does in fact void the warranty.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure it doesn't void your warranty on the MBP seeing as a Genius at my local Apple Store told me I could do it myself without any problems if I knew what I was doing. So ya..... Unless he lied to me, I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Will double-check with a Genius tonight when I go pick up my MBP from repairs.

For the MBPs, hard drives are not user-replaceable parts, but in MBs they are. This is b/c replacing a HD in a pro is more complicated.

If you notice on Apple's website, they'll give you instructions on how to replace/upgrade all user-replaceable parts...hence, they have a DIY for replacing HDs on MBs. But they don't have one for the early-2008 MBP.

They used to put tape over the HDs in a pro (not sure if they still do)...but it was there to see if the HD was messed around with. If you ever have problems with your computer down the road, they might see the broken tape, see that they're not the ones that broke the tape, and decide not to cover whatever problem you're trying to get fixed.

What the Genius said "if you know what you're doing", is pretty vague...if you screw something up while you're replacing it yourself, the damage done will definitely not be covered by your warranty.

jw12345678

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Its not actually that hard to change the HD anyway.... just make sure you swap the original one back before you return the machine for repair and they'll probably not even notice.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
The Apple website says that 17" MBP's drives and RAM are user replaceable.....

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
The Apple website says that 17" MBP's drives and RAM are user replaceable.....

I guess I should have been more clear...I was directing my post to the OP, who has an early 2008 MBP.

In the early 2008 MBPs, the only user-serviceable part is the memory (RAM). For the unibodies, I think that the hard drive and RAM are both classified as user-serviceable.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Why is everyone still beating this old donkey?

I've been using MacBookPro's for years and from experience, Apple will void the warranty on the system IF your device is the cause of the fault - e.g. incompatibility. The part(s) the user exchanges out isn't covered by the Apple Warranty, nor does anything you change or break.

How complicated is it, everything you need to know is in your manual. Just gotta read. :rolleyes:

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

No it doesn't.

Just call apple and find out for yourself. I did, and they said yes it voids your warranty. Then I called a local apple store and guess what they said? No it doesn't!! So I called apple again and was told that it does in fact void the warranty.

It's funny that there's confusion even within Apple. I would suggest speaking to the people that actually REPAIR the computers, not just some regular random Apple employee on the phone. So either a Genius or if your talking on the phone, ask to speak to someone that actually does repairs.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
No it doesn't.

It's funny that there's confusion even within Apple. I would suggest speaking to the people that actually REPAIR the computers, not just some regular random Apple employee on the phone. So either a Genius or if your talking on the phone, ask to speak to someone that actually does repairs.

From user manual (early 2008 MBP):

Your MacBook Pro does not have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory. If you need service, contact Apple or take your MacBook Pro to an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

From Applecare:

Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes

So if the hard drive isn't listed as user-serviceable by Apple, and the user modifies it anyway, that would probably fall under "unauthorized modification".

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

When I worked at the University we sent hundreds of Powerbooks and MBP for repair under warranty/Applecare. They never really complained user mods but failure to put the original HD or RAM definitely ran the risk of of getting original OEM replacements with no notice. This happened on several occasions. There were plenty of occasions where it did not happen.

For us, we always advised the student to put the original components back before we sent it off.

I personally, no longer use Apple Stores or the Apple 800# for support since I no longer work at the University and find it easier to deal with local authorized service centers. My logic board replacement for the 8600 issue was turned around in 1 day with not a word about my modified hardware.

Cheers,

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
It seems as though a lot depends on what kind of mood your Apple person/Genius is in.

If they want it to be covered under warranty, they'll do it...but if they're looking for reasons to have it not covered, I'm sure they could use the excuse of user-replaced HD as a reason (in the case of early 2008s).

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
It seems as though a lot depends on what kind of mood your Apple person/Genius is in.

If they want it to be covered under warranty, they'll do it...but if they're looking for reasons to have it not covered, I'm sure they could use the excuse of user-replaced HD as a reason (in the case of early 2008s).

This is a very good point. If they want to find a reason to reject your service they will. I've had two recent experiences where co-workers went to the Apple store and were rejected for one reason or the other. I got their serial numbers and address info and called the 800# (no ASC nearby) for them. Apple sent boxes and the bench techs at Apple's repair center repaired both units without question.

Based on these experiences and many posts I think you are much more likely to be rejected at the Apple store, especially if the unit has a bit of wear (dents, nicks, etc.).

Cheers,

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
When I worked at the University we sent hundreds of Powerbooks and MBP for repair under warranty/Applecare. They never really complained user mods but failure to put the original HD or RAM definitely ran the risk of of getting original OEM replacements with no notice. This happened on several occasions. There were plenty of occasions where it did not happen.

For us, we always advised the student to put the original components back before we sent it off.

I personally, no longer use Apple Stores or the Apple 800# for support since I no longer work at the University and find it easier to deal with local authorized service centers. My logic board replacement for the 8600 issue was turned around in 1 day with not a word about my modified hardware.

Cheers,

I would deal with a local authorized retailer, but the only place I could find charged $130 an hour for labor. That's more then the replacement drive would cost me.

Sadly I think that is the case. I am going to ask the Geniuses at the Bar when I go by to pick up my MBP today. I'll post my findings.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
So I talked with a Genius at the Apple Store that replaced the screen on my MBP and he said that replacing the HD in a MBP will void the warrenty. However, unofficially he said that it is not hard to do at all and even pointed me to a website with instructions. So while doing it will void your warranty is you are caught, its not that hard to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.