Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Just a quick questions for anyone with a NAS. I am thinking of purchasing a NAS and my question is this, how do you connect to the device? What I want is a storage device connected to my AEBS which can then be accessed from my laptop and desktop. Also I want this device to auto mount on start-up, I think this is relatively easy by dragging the HD icon into your start-up items list.

If anyone can help that would be great.

The NAS I am looking at is this one:

WD ShareSpace

Does anyone have any experience of this device, or recommend another NAS.

Thanks.

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I do not have the model you refer to, but I do use a freecom 500gb network drive, which I imagine is fairly similar to use. Obviously plug the NAS into your switch/wifi access point. You should be able to set the drive up using a browser interface (you might have to switch to dhcp/set a different ip address to be able to connect to it). I mount the shares on mine using the connect to server window in the finder go menu. No idea how to auto mount on startup as I always leave my computers sleeping so the only time I have to remount the drive is after restarting due to updates. Hope that helps.

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
I have a WD MyBookWorld connected but only for my wife's windows machines to back up to so I don't auto-connect but I guess you can drag the drive into the log in items in your accounts tab of system prefs.

Hope this helps

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
If you have an available Ethernet port on the computer, and no router/switch, you can use a crossover (XO) patch cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.