Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowhunter711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Good morning mates!

I am new here in this forum and am located in central Europe. I have read the rumor that Apple will come up with a iPhone 4G this summer. This item should even have a 128 GB memory...

Since I am still using a Nokia E51 I am thinking of switching to the iPhone as soon as my cell provider contract is ending, which would be at the end of March. :)

Now here is my question:

Does anybody know a bit more regarding this new 4G already (expected price range? new technical features? etc.)?

Hail the rumors! ;-)

Best regards and thanks in advance! :)

Shadowhunter711

gianpan

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Where did you hear that? Do you even have a 4G network where you live?

3G here is not even working properly (poor signal).

*Laughs at 128gb memory*

Probably just 16gb and 32gb.

Shadowhunter711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Point taken regarding the 4G network! ;-)

The 4G stuff was featured as one of more rumors on a Swiss newspaper online platform...as well as the 128 GB stuff. However they obviously expect the release of a new generation or at least a modified iPhone in Midsummer...

3G is working just perfect over here! :)

What is your experience of using a 8/16GB iPhone, especially regarding to downloading music or syncing with iPod?

Martin Finch

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
Yeah 3G isn't even that good in the UK yet. Plenty of bad signal areas. But if 4G is available, I'll go for it anyway... just cos it's new :)

Shadowhunter711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
However, I am sure, there will be more improvements... Whatever it will be, I am already looking forward to it! :)

Now I am wondering what this would be. Any suggestions? :)

miffed

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Hmm , a bit of confusing terminology here I feel !

what with the 1G (1st Gen) iPhone referred to as the "2G" (referring to the cellular technology ) , and then the 2G (as in second Gen) being called "3G"
:rolleyes::confused::eek:

I think it's probably safe to say that the NEXT iphone (3rd Gen) will STILL be 3G , but I suspect everyone will refer to it as 4G , even though it's 3rd Gen device using 3rd Gen technology !!
They couldn't have made it more confusing if they tried

gianpan

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
My speculations (I haven't read anything it's just what I believe)

- Improved camera, 3.2MP.
- iChat function with 2nd "invisible" camera
- Improved CPU and more RAM (192 or 256 MB?)
- 16 and 32GB versions
- Firmware 3.0.

As far as firmware 3 is concerned the only thing I have to comment on is themes. When I first thought about it, I was not sure if Apple would like to have themes on the iPhone - because after all it's Apple :p. On the other hand they can probably sell themes on itunes store which will make them money and well it's Apple and money + customer satisfaction = paradise for them.

Shadowhunter711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
In the meantime and after what I have read in Wikipedia it definitely seems to still be 3G... So the used terminology in the papers was really rather confusing than helpful... :)

Yo, Gix1k what a helpful opinion you are offering there! ;)

miffed

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
In the meantime and after what I have read in Wikipedia it definitely seems to still be 3G... So the used terminology in the papers was really rather confusing than helpful... :)

It is always going to be confusing with Apple Products being referred to as 1G /2G /3G , and the technology also being named 2G /3G /4G
To make matters even more confusing , here in the UK a lot people mistakenly refer to the (3G) network "3" as '3G'
:confused:

Couldn't be simpler !

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
4G tech won't be around for quite some time. When 3G is the norm/standard, then we'll see the transition to 4G.

A better question, what will the name of the new iPhone be?

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Yet another new phone thread/

Stop wasting bandwidths on your post and actually post something useful. I thought forums are open to discussions as long as they are not repeating previous threads. This thread isn't doing that.

gjw4u

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Switzerland
Gotta love these posts. OP is clearly confused between network & Apple versioning... 3G is the network. Currently we have the 2nd generation iPhone overall, so the next one would still be a 3G, but the 2nd release, so either it would be the 2nd generation 3G, or 3G 2nd generation iPhone.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Good morning mates!

I am new here in this forum and am located in central Europe. I have read the rumor that Apple will come up with a iPhone 4G this summer. This item should even have a 128 GB memory...

Since I am still using a Nokia E51 I am thinking of switching to the iPhone as soon as my cell provider contract is ending, which would be at the end of March. :)

Now here is my question:

Does anybody know a bit more regarding this new 4G already (expected price range? new technical features? etc.)?

Hail the rumors! ;-)

Best regards and thanks in advance! :)

Shadowhunter711

sorry but you have no clue for making such a post, 4g yeah right.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Gizmodo
« next » Concept
iPhone 4G Concept Is a MacBook In a Phone
By Jesus Diaz, 8:00 AM on Tue Feb 3 2009, 207,177 views
Oh. So. Pretty. It needs some small aesthetic fixes here and there, but boy I would like to see something along these lines coming from Apple. And I like the fantasy specs too.

(Click on the image for a 1,600-pixel version)

• Titanium and Glass.
• OLED screen
• 3G
• GPS
• Front camera for iChat
• Removable battery
• 3.2 Megapixel camera
• Video
• 32 GB

Square is the new round

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
NewiPhoneSpecs.jpg

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Gizmodo
« next » Concept
iPhone 4G Concept Is a MacBook In a Phone
By Jesus Diaz, 8:00 AM on Tue Feb 3 2009, 207,177 views
Oh. So. Pretty. It needs some small aesthetic fixes here and there, but boy I would like to see something along these lines coming from Apple. And I like the fantasy specs too.

So Jesus Diaz took a day off from him death stalking of Steve Jobs.

Way to go Mr. Diaz. you went one whole day without being a prig.

Try for two!

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
My speculations (I haven't read anything it's just what I believe)

- Improved camera, 3.2MP.
- iChat function with 2nd "invisible" camera
- Improved CPU and more RAM (192 or 256 MB?)
- 16 and 32GB versions
- Firmware 3.0.

I'd say your dead on with one exception - themes. Maybe not the second camera, but I can see it very useful. Plus - moving iChat to the iPhone with AIM support would be nice.

I'd like to see 32/64gb. I think it's more of a possibility than before. (Don't really have anything to go on besides the pricing for 64gb chips are in the $120 range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.