Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This type of keyboard is already for sale (apparently pre-order so far), it was demoed at CES. See http://www.ibizpda.com/. The iBiz keyboard uses USB, so it might already be compatible with the Mac.

[Edit: Ah what the heck, I'm a sucker for toys like this. I've got one on order and will report back on how well it plays with the Mac.]

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is really cool. I wonder how long it will be before Steve offers something like that for the Mac. He is an innovator after all.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
evoluzione said:
couldn't the "display" be projected upside down from what it is at the moment, thus enabling you to say, clip it to your shirt instead of trying to steady it in front of you on a table....

Worst pickup line ever: "Hey baby, wanna press my spacebar?"

The projector/camera box really will want to be stationary when used. If it moves while you're typing, your fingers won't stay under the correct key when it tries to figure out where you pressed.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Thomas Veil said:
I wonder, though, if there are any health dangers to having your fingers continuously scanned by a laser, even a low-powered one.

The laser is class I, which means the wavelength and power level are safe to skin and eyes.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
iMeowbot said:
The projector/camera box really will want to be stationary when used. If it moves while you're typing, your fingers won't stay under the correct key when it tries to figure out where you pressed.

Not only that, but the device scans each key's physical location to see if your finger is there, and if it were backwards, your hands themselves would get in the way-- the keyboard wouldn't be able to "see" your fingers. It has enough trouble with this when it's projected towards you... it can be tricky.

I'll be interested to know how the USB one works with Mac... they were demo'd about a year ago, and i've been drooling over them ever since. only problem is that i think your fingers would get tired faster, since it's a totally flat surface...

paul

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
paulwhannel said:
Not only that, but the device scans each key's physical location to see if your finger is there, and if it were backwards, your hands themselves would get in the way-- the keyboard wouldn't be able to "see" your fingers. It has enough trouble with this when it's projected towards you... it can be tricky.

I'll be interested to know how the USB one works with Mac... they were demo'd about a year ago, and i've been drooling over them ever since. only problem is that i think your fingers would get tired faster, since it's a totally flat surface...

paul

Do you think that Apple & Steve my offer this in the future?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iMeowbot said:
The laser is class I, which means the wavelength and power level are safe to skin and eyes.

It also looks like a red (visible) laser, so it should be harmless. Lasers have very low bandwidth, even when they have a continuous wave, so it doesn't really project out from the red color into IR or UV wavelengths that could cause you problems....

But if this comes out, it has GOT to be next years fav. geektoy. :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
wdlove said:
Do you think that Apple & Steve my offer this in the future?

Not this specific device, but quite possibly something very much like it. Steve Jobs is said to have an investment in Canesta, but their first product seems to be somewhat bigger and bulkier than the Israeli version the iBiz and Siemens are promoting.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
iMeowbot said:
[Edit: Ah what the heck, I'm a sucker for toys like this. I've got one on order and will report back on how well it plays with the Mac.]
*sigh* Vaporware.

The good news is that the product as shipped works just as well with the Mac as with other platforms ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.