Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddzc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Hi everyone, very nice site you guys have up

Anyway im installing a card for an emac. I was told that a WUSB11 Wireless USB adapter works fine with it. When I put the card in, an icon appears, and a menu appears. There's 1 option available stating "open internet connections" A window pops up and asks about a VPN (L2TP over IPSEC) to be configured. Under that theres an option to click to configure the vpn or configure (other)
Under that you have to type the server address, account name, password. Then theres a checkbox to show vpn status and menu bar (deafult checked) Then theres a connect button.

Can anyone help me configure this card and get it working with my router? Any instruction or steps on everything would be great. Especially with the username and vpn. Does vpn have to be installed and what does it do? do I just make an account name up? btw the router is a lynksys 802.11b

More details...

The router is connected to the main pc, and the net works fine off the router b/c I put the network cable in the router instead of the card installed on the pc.

It's setup as 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway is the one that my internet was using, some weird number.
The MAC pc which isn't working is setup as 192.169.1.3, 255.255.2550 and gateway as 192.168.1.1.

DHCP is not installed, static was chosen.

The setup CD that came with it loads, but I can't access any files in it. Is it possible to install pc drivers in a mac os-x?

Anyway, sorry about the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated b/c im new to the mac world

Thanks everyone

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
you should have bought a apple wireless card(in goes in above the CD-ROM drive) It is said to work with any wireless router and it is easy it conf.

It is not a card is it? It should be a dudad that sticks out of the USB port

ddzc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
trainguy77 said:
you should have bought a apple wireless card(in goes in above the CD-ROM drive) It is said to work with any wireless router and it is easy it conf.

It is not a card is it? It should be a dudad that sticks out of the USB port

I know I should have, but it's too late now...I guess.
The things is, on the products FAQ page, it says it's compatible with all macs.
It's not really a card, it looks almost like an access point, it's a bit different with a usb cable that goes from the adapter to the port.

Sorry, what's a dudad?

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
ddzc said:
I know I should have, but it's too late now...I guess.
The things is, on the products FAQ page, it says it's compatible with all macs.
It's not really a card, it looks almost like an access point, it's a bit different with a usb cable that goes from the adapter to the port.

Sorry, what's a dudad?

It shouldn't be hard to get a refund for it if you have the receipt and haven't had it for more than 30 days. And I believe he meant "doodad"

huckleup

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2003
Left Coast
ddzc said:
Hi everyone, very nice site you guys have up

Anyway im installing a card for an emac. I was told that a WUSB11 Wireless USB adapter works fine with it. When I put the card in, an icon appears, and a menu appears. There's 1 option available stating "open internet connections" A window pops up and asks about a VPN (L2TP over IPSEC) to be configured. Under that theres an option to click to configure the vpn or configure (other)
Under that you have to type the server address, account name, password. Then theres a checkbox to show vpn status and menu bar (deafult checked) Then theres a connect button.

Can anyone help me configure this card and get it working with my router? Any instruction or steps on everything would be great. Especially with the username and vpn. Does vpn have to be installed and what does it do? do I just make an account name up? btw the router is a lynksys 802.11b

More details...

The router is connected to the main pc, and the net works fine off the router b/c I put the network cable in the router instead of the card installed on the pc.

It's setup as 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway is the one that my internet was using, some weird number.
The MAC pc which isn't working is setup as 192.169.1.3, 255.255.2550 and gateway as 192.168.1.1.

DHCP is not installed, static was chosen.

The setup CD that came with it loads, but I can't access any files in it. Is it possible to install pc drivers in a mac os-x?

Anyway, sorry about the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated b/c im new to the mac world

Thanks everyone

I don't know anything about that specific WAP, but in general terms:

First, no, of course you can't use Windows drivers on a Mac. Now, come on, that should be obvious. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why your Internet Setup app is opening automatically. That seems weird. VPN has nothing to do with making the thing work for normal network access. For now, maybe just ignore that (quit that thing.)

Normally what you would need to do is go to the Network System Prefs panel to configure the interface. It may show up already in the list, and then you can jump to the part below about configuring it. If it doesn't show up yet, you need to add a new config setup for that wireless interface.

To add a new interface, assuming Panther (Jaguar is similiar, but slightly different) when you open the Network Pref Panel, select the Network Port Configurations item under the Show menu. You may see already an item that is named something that relates to the new USB WAP. If not, you may have to select the New... item, and then that will show the WAP, and you then add a new config. If nothing shows up there relating to your WAP, then it is not supported by default by the OS and you will need to contact the manufacturer for OS X drivers.

Once the new interface has been added to your list of available interfaces, turn it on by selecting the checkbox. Then you use the Show: menu again and select Network Status.

Once the new interface shows up in that list, select the new interface item and hit Configure to set it up. Since you are doing a manual configuration (why?) you will need to fill a unique local IP address, the router address, the subnet mask and the DNS server address. (DHCP would have done all that for you if had used that.). Hit Apply Now and it should start working. The UI should indicate if it was correctly configured and active. You may need to reboot, because the network config doesn't always switch if it started up with a different setting and a new one was added. But it might just work immediately.

See how that part goes and see if it works. Once you have the WAP installed and configured, any remaining errors can be analyzed. But you need to do all that other stuff first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.