Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clank72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I have an older G5. Running Ethernet cables across the hallway is not going to work. Is there a Wi-Fi card, chip, usb solution? Or can I share an internet connection with my MacPro in the same room?

Thanks!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I have an older G5. Running Ethernet cables across the hallway is not going to work. Is there a Wi-Fi card, chip, usb solution? Or can I share an internet connection with my MacPro in the same room?

Thanks!

I believe both the iMac G5 and PowerMac G5 had AirPort Extreme slots.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Yes yes and yes.

Yes you can install an Airport card - tons of them for dirt cheap on eBay.

But even simpler --- I take it your Mac Pro is connected via wifi to your network? --- if so under System Preferences > Sharing, just enable Internet Sharing from Airport, to Ethernet. Then just connect your PowerMac to to the Mac Pro via ethernet and it should all work perfectly fine.

Obviously this will work only when your Mac Pro is turned on -- but if it always is when you're using the PowerMac, no need to spend extra money on something you can do for free. :)

clank72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Wow, fast response! Ok great. I didn't know there was an Airport card. I have decided to share the connection with my MacPro that is always turned on and has a Wi-Fi card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.