Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1
cmcconkey
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to cmcconkey
Thumbs down Powerbook Slow All Of A Sudden

I have a PowerBook G4 and I have started noticing a slow down with MANY applications. The biggest slow down that I have noticed is with my FireFox. It will take almost 140 secs to load the homepage for macrumors. This is not isolated to this homepage, there are many others for me.

Now for some background. I have a 6mb connection by AT&T running over and AEBS (latest revision). My wife's MacBook (about a year old) connects and loads pages with no problems. My PowerMac G5, which is hardwired into the AEBS, is also running with no problems.

What is it that I can look into on my PowerBook find my problem?

Christopher
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
SHADO
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried repairing permissions? I would also use DiskWarrior and/or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag your directory and make sure everything is in order. Those should help.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Is the slowdown with internet-related apps only or are we looking at whole system slowdowns?

The place to start for general slowdowns will be activity monitor, sort by CPU usage, and see if there is a process going crazy. Also check memory usage and network usage if the processor usage monitor doesn't seem to be any help.
Heb1228 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:27 PM   #4
rj-300zx
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to rj-300zx
Check for memory leaks!!! Especially under leopard. Ive had it for about a week now and Ive gotten 5 so far, very aggravating. However, Ive prevented them from starting up now so its all good (Skype and Safari are the ones that seem to leak from when i open them to when I shut the computer off)
rj-300zx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5
cmcconkey
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to cmcconkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADO View Post
Have you tried repairing permissions? I would also use DiskWarrior and/or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag your directory and make sure everything is in order. Those should help.
Yeah repaired permissions about a day ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb1228 View Post
Is the slowdown with internet-related apps only or are we looking at whole system slowdowns?

The place to start for general slowdowns will be activity monitor, sort by CPU usage, and see if there is a process going crazy. Also check memory usage and network usage if the processor usage monitor doesn't seem to be any help.
I just tried out iPhoto and it went loaded up, but it didn't ever get to a point to where I could access anything in iPhoto. It came up with the iPhoto window and then pinwheeled and I had to force quit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj-300zx View Post
Check for memory leaks!!! Especially under leopard. Ive had it for about a week now and Ive gotten 5 so far, very aggravating. However, Ive prevented them from starting up now so its all good (Skype and Safari are the ones that seem to leak from when i open them to when I shut the computer off)
What is the best way to check for memory leaks? I have 10 apps running with FireFox being the one with the most CPU usage (12%).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 09:38 PM   #6
rj-300zx
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to rj-300zx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcconkey View Post
Yeah repaired permissions about a day ago.

I just tried out iPhoto and it went loaded up, but it didn't ever get to a point to where I could access anything in iPhoto. It came up with the iPhoto window and then pinwheeled and I had to force quit it.

What is the best way to check for memory leaks? I have 10 apps running with FireFox being the one with the most CPU usage (12%).
Watch the memory use under System Moniter and test several apps (1 open at once preferably) and just watch the memory ussage and take it and make intervals at every hour for a day and see if it stays in a range or keeps going up.
rj-300zx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs