Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
brclint
macrumors newbie

PLZ SAVE ME!!!!!!Powermac G5 pcie sata contoller showing hd as scsi

as we see in the first image, card is apparently installed with drivers

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....1&d=1234230487

however in the next installed hd appears only as scsi in this pane with no option to mount etc anywhere. Someone please help me, am going out of my mind

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....1&d=1234230487
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prob1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	157146   Click image for larger version

Name:	prob2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	157147  
brclint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 04:27 AM   #2
brclint
macrumors newbie

have searched far and wide and only found one other person with this problem.........but i beg you all, please help!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:38 AM   #3
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Unfortunately, in PPC macs, PCI SATA cards show up as scsi cards in system profiler (mine does too, always has).......don't know why

As for mounting them, they have a BSD id assigned to them, which normally gives them a mount point in the file system, so you should be able to see them in Disk Utility.

Have these drives been formatted already ? I ask this because it says "partition map type- unknown" They will NOT mount on the desktop until they are formatted....
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:41 AM   #4
brclint
macrumors newbie

have been formatted but will try again. is this to do with the infamous sii3132 driver
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:12 AM   #5
brclint
macrumors newbie

tried formatting every which way and still no luck..... any ideas????????? Why cant the hard drive be seen in scsi aaaaarggghghhghg
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
UltraNEO*
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to UltraNEO*
Quote:
Originally Posted by brclint View Post
have searched far and wide and only found one other person with this problem.........but i beg you all, please help!
Calm down dude.
Technically a SATA drive is a sort of SCSI device.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:54 AM   #7
brclint
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNEO* View Post
Calm down dude.
Technically a SATA drive is a sort of SCSI device.
Still doesnt explain why despite formatting in all the flavors of the rainbow it still shows up like that yet cannot be found or mounted in finder or disk utility.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Chuck Fadanoid
macrumors member

I have an eSata card for my G5 PCI-X PowerMac, and as far as I can remember drives on there are shown as SCSI. However I see your card is a RAID controller - I've never used a RAID system myself, but could it be you've missed something in setting up your RAID. Could you show us screenshots of Disk Utility / Disk Utility RAID tab when the disks are connected?

How are they connected BTW? Externally?
Chuck Fadanoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:26 AM   #9
zmttoxics
macrumors 65816

Quote:
have been formatted but will try again. is this to do with the infamous sii3132 driver
I had a card with that chipset in my PCI-E G5 and could never get the drives to show up. It also caused a lot of crashes so I took it out.

As for the scsi part, thats expected.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
UltraNEO*
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to UltraNEO*
Quote:
Still doesnt explain why despite formatting in all the flavors of the rainbow it still shows up like that yet cannot be found or mounted in finder or disk utility.
Are you trying to format them as a single drive or as a RAID? Also.. Are there any physical jumpers/switched on the board? How about posting a link to the device/interface your trying to make uses off?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:41 PM   #11
slughead
macrumors 68030

Pick one (These probably should be in reverse order).
1) your card is defective
2) your card is not setup properly (jumpers, et al)
3) your hard drives are disconnected (either power/data damaged/unplugged)
4) you installed the wrong drivers
5) the card is incompatible with your computer (G5)
6) the card is incompatible with your OS version.

Someone post what I'm forgetting.

As for SCSI: that's normal.
slughead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:29 AM   #12
brclint
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the scsi info, as for questions.....only attached one hd to it, jumpers are in correct setting, card is a generic ST Lab production 2 esata external, 2 sata internal. Am using drivers from Silicon Image site. Just dont get why the hd is seen via the system profiler yet is not accessible via disk utility.

I understand that the card is not ootb compatible with mac but I just hoped there was a work around.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:18 AM   #13
slughead
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I understand that the card is not ootb compatible with mac but I just hoped there was a work around.
Sorry, but I really doubt it.
slughead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:09 PM   #14
rtrt
macrumors 6502a

hi read this thread earlier and because i skimmed it - didn't think i could help - have a mp2008.

but reading it again there are some striking similarities - so for what it's worth.....

based on the rec of some on the board incl (ok then mostly ) nanofrog - i went for a syba internal sata card with 2 ports - great price/shipping to uk available/had the ports & funtionality that i needed - what could go wrong

trouble was the 2 sets of drivers on the syba site failed. one failing to mount/recognise the 2 drives, the other causing kp's. so after getting little help from syba, i noted that the card had a silicon image chip and went looking.

Silicon image site has iirc the same drivers as Syba - so still couldn't get it to work with anything from there.

But I found the Sonnet site and their Tempo E2P looks exactly like the Syba card I bought (i'm now guessing it's based on the same spec and probably from the same factory). so looked a bit further and found that the Sonnet Tempo sata card drivers were a diff rev and had a ref in the driver package itself - to updating the drivers to fix a problem and the problem version they identified had the same version number as the Syba 'drives unrecognised' version - spooky huh!

so i thought no harm in trying these drivers - can confirm MP's been stable and works with the drives mounted / no kp's for weeks now - am pd happy.

so when i looked at the first of your pics just now - i see that all of the info is the same - almost as if you have the same card. the diff with the second pic is that my drives are mounted and the partition is recognised as GPT etc.

so long story short - try this - Tempo SATA E2P Driver (Mac) Version: 1.1.9 V2B from here;

http://sonnettech.com/support/downlo...utercards.html

The V2B is the key as the U version fails on my MP 2008. Have a feeling it might do the trick for you - as i think the important thing is the macos level rather than the hardware.

If it doesn't work for you then it could be down to the difference in the G5 to MP 2008 hardware after all - maybe
rtrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:45 PM   #15
brclint
macrumors newbie

still no joy........any new ideas????? :-(

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs