Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple is conducting an online survey to determine how to improve tv.

tv survey

The survey is mostly multiple choice, but there's a free writing section.

If you could change one thing about your TV, what would that be?

What was your answer?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

A: I would like the relationship between the Mac and the tv to have their roles reversed.

tv should become the central iTunes library of the home, the central repository of media that can then be accessed by other Macs and PCs in the home.

The status quo proves to be a problem when TV shows and or movies are purchased on tv and then sync'd back to MacBooks with limited storage.

In this role reversal, iTunes on each Mac would be used to manage and contribute to the tv's central library. iTunes on each Mac would also enable the user to select which content should be transfered onto the MacBook, iPhone or iPod to be available when away from the network.

In a more complex version of this setup, because tv is always on and always connected, all the content would be accessible via a WiFi/3G enabled iPhone, iPod or Mac facilitated by MobileMe.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:
Though the survey is now closed, anybody wanting to voice their opinion and suggestions on the tv can do so here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm a little wary.

Namely because Apple could care less about what we think and because when I go to the main website, surveys.apple.com, it looks NOTHING like it should.

Even with a lock in the top corner. :confused:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It resides on the Apple domain, even if it's a subdomain. This is legit.

Why wouldn't Apple care what we think? They've demonstrated the contrary on several occasions.

Aside from the mainstream examples, I've provided feedback regarding Aperture which made it into 2.0. I was contacted by Joe Shurr, Product Manager for Aperture regarding such.

Apple wants to get the next revision to tv right so I'm not surprised they're asking the very people who will be buying it.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
... because when I go to the main website, surveys.apple.com, it looks NOTHING like it should.

The domain name is Apple.com and the "Surveys" is just a local hostname if you know how all of that works.

Anyway, the point is that it's a legitimately Apple. It seems to be under heavy load right now, however. It keeps timing out on me.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I'm getting timeouts.

I would buy one if it were 1080p compatible and would allow me to treat a TV as another monitor with the image displayed through Apple TV.

What is Apple TV (pardon me, I'm very uninformed) supposed to be now anyway?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It does display 1080p, it's just that content at that resolution isn't available for download from iTunes. The state of bandwidth in the US and Canada isn't up to the task just yet.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
It does display 1080p, it's just that content at that resolution isn't available for download from iTunes. The state of bandwidth in the US and Canada isn't up to the task just yet.

I thought it could only do video output at 720p?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Surveying Apple TV Owners About Habits and Wants

Apple has begun surveying new Apple TV owners to get an idea for what customers usage habits are surrounding the digital media appliance. The email sent to some Apple TV owners reads:
Please take a few minutes to complete this survey to help us understand how you use your Apple TV. Your responses will remain completely confidential and results will be viewed only in aggregate. We value and appreciate your input.
The questions of the survey asked about what sources video content came from, what hardware equipment that the Apple TV was used with and what other equipment the users own. It also asks the open-ended question of "If you could change one thing about your Apple TV, what would that be". AppleInsider speculates that this information will shape the future of the Apple TV.

It certainly will help Apple profile the individuals who are buying their product. The Apple TV has long been described by Apple management as a "hobby" product rather than a serious revenue stream as the iPod, Mac and iPhones are.

Apple's plans for the Apple TV have always been a bit of a mystery, and, as a result, we have not featured it on our Buyer's Guide. As it stands, the Apple TV acts as a set-top iPod and has enough horsepower to play all the content required from the iTunes store. As a result, no regular updates are required to fulfill this basic need. When and if Apple decides to transition the Apple TV into a separate product on its own, we may then see more regular updates with additional features to drive sales.

Speculation about future Apple TV updates include the usual laundry list of suspects: DVR, Blu-Ray, DVD, App Store support and more.

Article Link: Apple Surveying Apple TV Owners About Habits and Wants

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Well, this should put to rest rumors of an imminent revision that incorporates something substantially new. Market data takes quite a while to make it into new/updated products.

It looks like a long-term strategy for Apple to know its customer base. Kudos for asking! Steve usually assumes he knows what we want -- or tells us what we want. He's always been right with me! :D

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
HD would be a good reason to purchase an Apple TV. Throw in a Blu-Ray drive in that Apple TV and I may consider buying it.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I'm a little wary.

Namely because Apple could care less about what we think and because when I go to the main website, surveys.apple.com, it looks NOTHING like it should.

Even with a lock in the top corner. :confused:

Surveys are usually contracted out to an outside firms which could explain the difference in appearance.

Now, if they only contact those of us who don't own an AppleTV to ask us what it they could do to make it a more attractive purchase.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The survey does seem to be overloaded but if you refresh, you're allowed to continue the survey without restarting it. I think I'm near the end as I've already provided my free form feedback.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
What's needed is the ability to connect a MiniMac to a telly, have an aerial chuff and a three or four channel digital recorder. The audio output should be 6+1, probably digital. Not forgetting the ability to connect massive hard discs to stream it from. With some OS tweaks, it should be possible to simply do picture-in-picture, e.g. when I'm browsing, but sort of watching another channel or two (or three or four...). A decent remote control which responds to gestures (a-la Wiiii), plus Bluetooth to connect keyboards, mice, and a whole host of other accessories (speakers, printer, etc.).

Then you'd have something that's generic, could record programmes off air/cable/satellite, read/write DVDs, watch YouToob, play games, browse thar intarwebs, and be a portal to the Apple Store (which is it's whole raison d'etre).

Sure, it won't be cheap, but it'll be the mutts knuts and the centre of home entertainment.

Until then, it's a pretty pointless gadget.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Apple needs to buyout Tivo and put that in as a DVR.

But I think the Apple TV needs a DVR, 1080P, Netflix, Hulu built in, how about support for older 4:3 TVs.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What's needed is the ability to connect a MiniMac to a telly, have an aerial chuff and a three or four channel digital recorder. The audio output should be 6+1, probably digital. Not forgetting the ability to connect massive hard discs to stream it from. With some OS tweaks, it should be possible to simply do picture-in-picture, e.g. when I'm browsing, but sort of watching another channel or two (or three or four...). A decent remote control which responds to gestures (a-la Wiiii), plus Bluetooth to connect keyboards, mice, and a whole host of other accessories (speakers, printer, etc.).

Then you'd have something that's generic, could record programmes off air/cable/satellite, read/write DVDs, watch YouToob, play games, browse thar intarwebs, and be a portal to the Apple Store (which is it's whole raison d'etre).

Sure, it won't be cheap, but it'll be the mutts knuts and the centre of home entertainment.

Until then, it's a pretty pointless gadget.

You're looking for an entirely different device. What you propose would change tv in everythiing but the name.

To many of us who own one, tv is exactly what we need give or take a few peripheral items.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I thought Apple didn't care what it's users wanted.

I mean after I submitted my request for video playlists in iTunes and created an Apple discussion group about it 5 years ago in which dozens of people thought it was a great idea, they certainly took their time with that.

And not to forget the ATV Front Row 2 GUI that was even worse than the first version and is still annoying to use a year later. They certainly had to have been listening to customers when they created that.

The 3D dock in Leopard where the icons sit on a shelf - everyone wanted that.

And no one would want to play games on it. Ms. Pac-Man belongs on the iPhone.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
^ What you want doesn't necessarily represent what the target audience wants.

Full disclosure: I love the 3D dock shelf :D

Fireteller

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
I love my apple TV

I've actually canceled my cable, and I'm selling my 1TB modified HD TIVO. Between apple TV, and my PS3 connected to a PC media server I have everything I could ever want to watch, except live events which I don't watch anyway (TIVO).

I can watch the shows I love for a lot less on the apple TV then the $100 a month for HD cable plus cost of the TIVO, and I don't have to FF through the commercials. Renting movies works great as well, and I mix that with 'free' content I torrent which automatically shows up in the pc media server when it's ready.

I always have exactly what I want to watch, wither it's something I planned ahead to download, or quick browse through the TV and movie listings. For just surfing around I have a list of favorite podcasts such as 'TED', and other less cerebral fair. This is perfect when you need to kill 20 min while the wife gets ready to go out etc. And of course everything starts from the beginning, no landing on something interesting that's already 10 min in.

The only things I don't like are:

You can only buy TV programs and they take up space. (I don't mind buying, although advertising paid shows would be good too, but it won't take long for me to use up all the storage on the apple TV this can be mitigated with proper management from iTunes however.)

I wish it could connect to a media server so then the PS3 isn't even required. Add blue ray and I'm down to just the Apple TV.

Nevertheless the HD movie rental feature makes it worth the purchase price. I haven't had to mail a DVD or go to a video store for a year now.

f

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
These threads remind me of the old "I'd buy an iPod if only it had an FM radio!"

No, they wouldn't have, and no, you won't. The Apple TV always needs just ONE more thing and suddenly everyone would buy it!

You all don't really want one, and that's fine. But why can't you* just say that instead of making up reasons why you haven't bought one? You just don't really need one. There's nothing wrong with just saying that.

*[edit: I'm talking about the thread in general, not an individual.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.