Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
Ok so my macbook just froze up on me, and I shut it off manually. However, when I tried to start it back up it would not boot up. I am just receiving a message telling me " You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button. "

I did what the message told me to do, and when I started the computer back up I just received the same exact message. I tried to take the battery out and hold down the power button to discharge any electricity in the laptop, and then I plugged in the power cable with the battery still out, and I am still receiving the same error message.

I have tried the same process a couple of times and put the battery back in and then I decided to try inserting the Installation DVD, and it did nothing different then what I have been getting.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? :confused:

Ok so my macbook just froze up on me, and I shut it off manually. However, when I tried to start it back up it would not boot up. I am just receiving a message telling me " You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button. "

I did what the message told me to do, and when I started the computer back up I just received the same exact message. I tried to take the battery out and hold down the power button to discharge any electricity in the laptop, and then I plugged in the power cable with the battery still out, and I am still receiving the same error message.

I have tried the same process a couple of times and put the battery back in and then I decided to try inserting the Installation DVD, and it did nothing different then what I have been getting.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? :confused:

The error message you're getting is most commonly known as a 'Kernel Panic', Basically something is wrong with you're systems library, which is made up of kernels, and if an important one goes missing, that error is the result most % of the time.

This may have been changed accidently or even by a corrupt application or even a computer error.

Insert the install disk and then hold down the "c" key while you boot the mac, and you will be able to boot from the disk and do repairs from there.

I second this, once booted up from retail disc, Go to 'Disk Utility', Select the drive you want to repair, Click repair permissions, Watch the log, it will show you any errors; Also if needed do a repair disk, This will actually repair the disk and SHOULD fix your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.