Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Last week I decided to jailbreak my iPhone again. I decided to experiment and see what I could do. I wanted to find out what I liked and what I disliked about jailbreaking. I'm not a noob to this stuff though. I've been hacking and jailbreaking since 1.1.1 (I even went through the 47 step manual jailbreak). Here are some thoughts on what I found:

1. Voids your warranty (if something goes wrong and you can't restore, you're screwed). It's not illegal to jailbreak though.
1a. Apparently it's illegal too: http://i.gizmodo.com/5153101/apple-says-jailbreaking-iphones-is-illegal-dammit

2. Certain things cause the iPhone to lag considerably. (last night I had to help my brother uninstall a TON of crap because it took like 7 seconds to open SMS)

3. I want to be able to upgrade to the newest Firmware when it comes out and not have to wait around for the dev-team to come out with another patch. (although they're usually very quick)

4. iTunes backs up all of your purchased applications and preferences, but if you have to restore again, you have to re-install all of your fancy hacks and mods (which can be a pain sometimes)

5. I like to know that if my iPhone is running slow or buggy, it's Apple's fault. (I don't need to be wondering if it's from a third party hack or patch)

6. Besides the slowdown, most themes can make the SpringBoard look crazy cool, but since the majority of the rest of the OS is stock, it doesn't feel like it belongs.

7. I've found that most of the hacks, mods and jailbroken applications are cool at first but quickly get old fast. (this is my opinion... I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I've tried a lot of things while I was jailbroken)

8. I don't change my settings enough to justify having SBSettings. (I usually just keep everything on... 3G, Wifi, Bluetooh... etc. I used to worry about battery life and stuff until I realized that I hardly ever even put a dent in my battery since I'm always near a computer or charger in the car.)

9. Jailbreaking was fun back in the 1.1.1-1.1.4 days but, with the addition of the App Store, I can find almost everything that the old jailbreaking gave me and more. Apple is slowly loosening their grip on what the developers can do.

10. If someone found my jailbroken iPhone, they could plug it into the computer and instantly gain access to the entire filesystem (even without SSH). I know apps like DiskAid and PhoneView can view and edit the entire filesystem of a jailbroken iPhone over USB. However, if someone wanted my data bad enough, they could just QuickPwn it themselves and have a field day.... so much for passcode locks.

I have a few things I'd like to add in contrast to this list... some nice things about jailbreaking:

1. Customizing SMS tones was cool

2. If a certain icon or graphic in an application didn't look good to me, I could change it.

3. Somehow you're instantly cooler when you have a jailbroken iPhone and you're showing off the extra things to someone who has a regular stock iPhone.

4. Jailbroken (Cydia and Installer) applications are updated as soon as the developer has the update ready. No waiting for approval and waiting weeks for a small bug fix.

5. It's fun if you like to tinker.

These statements are just my opinions... they're not scientific in anyway. These are all based on things I've noticed from having and using a jailbroken iPhone. I'm not a developer, so I don't know how everything works internally.

There you have it. My reasons why I just restored to a stock Apple Firmware ONCE AGAIN. For some reason I always do this. Since 2.0 came out, I've been jailbreaking every few weeks for a little while and then restoring. For some reason, I always think it's going to be cool or better and I like the freshness to cure bordom, but the freshness doesn't last.

What are some things you DON'T like about jailbreaking? I think I touched on just about everything, but I'm sure people can come up with more reasons. What are your thoughts?

Edit: I fixed number 1 to show that jailbreaking is illegal in Apple's eyes.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
do yours parents allows you to have relations with your girlfriend in their house even when they are out?
your politics about jailbrake, plus the denial may show that you even are considering the thing!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
3. I want to be able to upgrade to the newest Firmware when it comes out and not have to wait around for the dev-team to come out with another patch. (although they're usually very quick)

5. I like to know that if my iPhone is running slow or buggy, it's Apple's fault. (I don't need to be wondering if it's from a third party hack or patch)

These are the main two reasons I don't want to jailbreak my phone.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
do yours parents allows you to have relations with your girlfriend in their house even when they are out?
your politics about jailbrake, plus the denial may show that you even are considering the thing!

None of that made any sense.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Last week I decided to jailbreak my iPhone again. I decided to experiment and see what I could do. I wanted to find out what I liked and what I disliked about jailbreaking. I'm not a noob to this stuff though. I've been hacking and jailbreaking since 1.1.1 (I even went through the 47 step manual jailbreak). Here are some thoughts on what I found:

1. Voids your warranty (if something goes wrong and you can't restore, you're screwed). It's not illegal to jailbreak though.

2. Certain things cause the iPhone to lag considerably. (last night I had to help my brother uninstall a TON of crap because it took like 7 seconds to open SMS)

4. iTunes backs up all of your purchased applications and preferences, but if you have to restore again, you have to re-install all of your fancy hacks and mods (which can be a pain sometimes)

6. Besides the slowdown, most themes can make the SpringBoard look crazy cool, but since the majority of the rest of the OS is stock, it doesn't feel like it belongs.

7. I've found that most of the hacks, mods and jailbroken applications are cool at first but quickly get old fast. (this is my opinion... I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I've tried a lot of things while I was jailbroken)

8. I don't change my settings enough to justify having SBSettings. (I usually just keep everything on... 3G, Wifi, Bluetooh... etc. I used to worry about battery life and stuff until I realized that I hardly ever even put a dent in my battery since I'm always near a computer or charger in the car.)

9. Jailbreaking was fun back in the 1.1.1-1.1.4 days but, with the addition of the App Store, I can find almost everything that the old jailbreaking gave me and more. Apple is slowly loosening their grip on what the developers can do.

10. If someone found my jailbroken iPhone, they could plug it into the computer and instantly gain access to the entire filesystem (even without SSH). I know apps like DiskAid and PhoneView can view and edit the entire filesystem of a jailbroken iPhone over USB. However, if someone wanted my data bad enough, they could just QuickPwn it themselves and have a field day.... so much for passcode locks.

I have a few things I'd like to add in contrast to this list... some nice things about jailbreaking:

1. Customizing SMS tones was cool

2. If a certain icon or graphic in an application didn't look good to me, I could change it.

3. Somehow you're instantly cooler when you have a jailbroken iPhone and you're showing off the extra things to someone who has a regular stock iPhone.

4. Jailbroken (Cydia and Installer) applications are updated as soon as the developer has the update ready. No waiting for approval and waiting weeks for a small bug fix.

5. It's fun if you like to tinker.

These statements are just my opinions... they're not scientific in anyway. These are all based on things I've noticed from having and using a jailbroken iPhone. I'm not a developer, so I don't know how everything works internally.

There you have it. My reasons why I just restored to a stock Apple Firmware ONCE AGAIN. For some reason I always do this. Since 2.0 came out, I've been jailbreaking every few weeks for a little while and then restoring. For some reason, I always think it's going to be cool or better and I like the freshness to cure bordom, but the freshness doesn't last.

What are some things you DON'T like about jailbreaking? I think I touched on just about everything, but I'm sure people can come up with more reasons. What are your thoughts?

Way to spread the good old FUD on jailbreaking/pwning but here's what I've noticed:

1. I've never encountered a touch/iphone that couldn't be restored through iTunes, sorry just no..

2. Again wtf are you or your bro installing that "lags the iphone" so badly that it takes SMS 7 seconds to open up? I've got a friend thats got 9 pages of apps and has yet to whine about this lag you've written about and no I dont keep mine over 2 pages so no.

3. Why? as if the "old" firmware somehow renders your iPhone any less of a device.. just sit back and wait for the dev team to crack it (as you said it doesnt take that long).

4. aptBackup.

5. Reboot? There are plenty of Apps from the app store that can lag out an iPhone just as much as there are Cydia apps.

6. There are full themes that make most of the OS pretty unique besides a killer looking home screen, iGlassSol comes to mind as being one.

7. I'd agree there most of the apps are cool and thats it.. thats why you run the basics clippy, backgrounder, winterboard, cycorder etc.

8. Uhh then dont? I dont think I could ever justify using SBSettings enough to have another app to switch settings, keep it light without the extra garbage.

9. When Apple/3rd party gives me a copy & paste, a video recorder, a semi useable background app and possibly VoIP over 3G for Skype then there wont be any need for Cydia.

10. Dont loose it then? If you're that much of a badass that EVERYONE wants into your phone then keep it cuffed to your wrist or something..

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Eh. Jailbreaking adds nothing I want. The return on investment for my time to do it just isn't worth it for me.

But if you want what it does, do it. If you don't, then don't.

I don't know that there needs to be anything more said about it than that.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
1. I've never encountered a touch/iphone that couldn't be restored through iTunes, sorry just no..

I'm saying... if something happens (a hardware defect) and you're somehow unable to restore (not necessarily related to jailbreaking) Apple might give you a problem if they see that it's jailbroken. I know a girl that had this happen. She used the pwnapple logo though and her phone wouldn't boot.

2. Again wtf are you or your bro installing that "lags the iphone" so badly that it takes SMS 7 seconds to open up? I've got a friend thats got 9 pages of apps and has yet to whine about this lag you've written about and no I dont keep mine over 2 pages so no.

Winterboard and other Mobile Substrate hacks. It's not about how many PAGES of apps you have. It's more about how many processes are running in the background or using up RAM.

3. Why? as if the "old" firmware somehow renders your iPhone any less of a device.. just sit back and wait for the dev team to crack it (as you said it doesnt take that long).

Nah.

5. Reboot? There are plenty of Apps from the app store that can lag out an iPhone just as much as there are Cydia apps.

Shouldn't have to reboot. I haven't had to reboot my iPhone since 2.2 came out, but that was when I was running stock.

6. There are full themes that make most of the OS pretty unique besides a killer looking home screen, iGlassSol comes to mind as being one.

Themes are over-rated and usually do not look good. You can't color certain text colors (like Safari's title bar text and the spacebar text colors)

7. I'd agree there most of the apps are cool and thats it.. thats why you run the basics clippy, backgrounder, winterboard, cycorder etc.

Backgrounder? WinterBoard, Cycorder? No.

8. Uhh then dont? I dont think I could ever justify using SBSettings enough to have another app to switch settings, keep it light without the extra garbage.

I agree.

9. When Apple/3rd party gives me a copy & paste, a video recorder, a semi useable background app and possibly VoIP over 3G for Skype then there wont be any need for Cydia.

I would like copy and paste, but I can live without it for now. I don't shoot video, so I'll pass on that. Background apps would be nice if it didn't have to run the entire GUI app in the background.

10. Dont loose it then? If you're that much of a badass that EVERYONE wants into your phone then keep it cuffed to your wrist or something..

My point is. Because of jailbreaking, the iPhone is less-secure.

AnDi86

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Ballymoney N.Ireland
Agree +1

I totally understand and agree to all the OP's 10 points! I originally jailbroke my 1st gen when I had it but it did lag up the system. So I decided to go back into jail for the sake of speed! I had toyed with the idea of Jailbreaking my 3G for the ability to tether my iPhone to my macbook Pro, but I would end up doing the exact same thing again! Installing it for a week and then getting rid off it! As the App store now offers me plenty of what the installer.app and cydidia offer! OK, bar the tethering, background apps and copy and paste!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I totally understand and agree to all the OP's 10 points! I originally jailbroke my 1st gen when I had it but it did lag up the system. So I decided to go back into jail for the sake of speed! I had toyed with the idea of Jailbreaking my 3G for the ability to tether my iPhone to my macbook Pro, but I would end up doing the exact same thing again! Installing it for a week and then getting rid off it! As the App store now offers me plenty of what the installer.app and cydidia offer! OK, bar the tethering, background apps and copy and paste!

Thank you. I usually don't get this much support. Everyone usually jumps all over me for no reason. You know the old saying "Don't knock it 'til you try it."? Well, I tried it and now I'm knocking it.

zachplaysguitar

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Richmond, VA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I rejailbroke a few weeks ago and cannot imagine going back. This time I was careful about what I installed and there's no lag whatsoever. Clippy is amazing and I never knew backgrounder would be so useful. To each his own..

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
number one personal reason for me is that i just dont care to.
i like your top 10 list and it agrees with me.
i jailbroke my girls iphone and she got bored of it in about 2 weeks.
jailbreaking is an awesome thing, its just not for everyone.
and your top 10 can fit perfectly with that statement!

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Wow, you couldn't live without tiny icons in your status bar?
Status icons are a basic feature of any phone, smart or not. I agree that they are invaluable to the iPhone. You can have fun unlocking your phone every time you want to check for mail, while we just glance at the status bar.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
How so? Maybe if you don't know what you are doing, yes. Mine is in no way, any less secure. I changed my root and mobile passwords on my device, only turn on SSH when I need it.

Restore a stock Apple Firmware, in DFU mode. Anything else, the phone won't boot and you will get a new device anyway.

Of course. Don't install those certain things then. :)

Why? You must not work in IT then. You never update immediately without proper testing first. Even if I was not jailbroken, I'd wait at least a week or so to see if anyone started posting with certain issues the new firmware may cause. If it's something I can either deal with or work around, I'll load it.

AptBackup, works like a charm. I restored my custom SMS bubbles, custom themes, Cydia apps, etc and I didn't need to do anything. :)

A bug is a bug, is Apple's bug more reputable because Apple made the mistake? That doesn't make sense. :) If someone has a bug in there app, you COULD always try to track down the cause or simply provide feedback to the developer so that they may make some changes.

Not sure what you mean here. There's no part of my iPhone that looks stock at all, due to a combination of themes.

True, this IS your opinion. In my opinion, they never get old. :)

I don't use SBSettings so I cannot attest to this one.

It's more "fun" now! Your keyword is almost. There's certain functionality and "look and feel" you can only get with a jailbroken iPhone.

If I found your unjailbroken phone, I could find all the same stuff. VERY easily actually.

Which is why posts like this should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
wow, im sorry but I have to disagree with this entire post.

Ive never had any problems restoring or anything of the sort.

I have a wonderful theme that not only looks amazing, but skins the entire rest of the phone as well to perfectly match your theme.

Having my calendar and status notifiers on my lock screen is the greatest thing ever. No need to unlock just to check to see if you have new mail.

There is just so much more functionality that you phone has by jailbreaking, anyone who says otherwise either
1) Doesnt know about the potential possibilities or
2) Afraid to sit down for an hour and have to "redo" your modifications in between 6 month updates.. or
3) ignorant to how easy it really is and how it is virtually impossible to screw something up.

AnDi86

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Ballymoney N.Ireland
Thank you. I usually don't get this much support. Everyone usually jumps all over me for no reason. You know the old saying "Don't knock it 'til you try it."? Well, I tried it and now I'm knocking it.

Your very welcome! Each to their own opinion! We all have our likes and dislikes, and we all love a good heated discussion! :D

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
You are misinformed.

1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 10 are incorrect and bad opinion.

saracen

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I agree with the OP. I haven't jailbroken my phone mainly because I have no interest in doing so.

The other thing that puts me off is the amount of threads I have seen that start "I jailbroke my phone and now it won't..."

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I agree with the OP. I haven't jailbroken my phone mainly because I have no interest in doing so.

The other thing that puts me off is the amount of threads I have seen that start "I jailbroke my phone and now it won't..."

It's unreal the potential the device has that is "locked" down by Apple. I enter a forum daily and see something that's done on the jailbroken side and go "omg, that's awesome!".

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'm saying... if something happens (a hardware defect) and you're somehow unable to restore (not necessarily related to jailbreaking) Apple might give you a problem if they see that it's jailbroken. I know a girl that had this happen. She used the pwnapple logo though and her phone wouldn't boot.

Was she blond by chance?

Winterboard and other Mobile Substrate hacks. It's not about how many PAGES of apps you have. It's more about how many processes are running in the background or using up RAM.

The OS does a form of memory management and unloading apps as it see's fit to free up some RAM. If an app has quit and memory leaked (which I'm sure some apps do) then I can see that as a problem but loading up 9 pages full of apps does let some of the system processes take time (for example to refresh app icons upon boot) to which I've seen iPhones constantly reboot over and over because the OS kills daemons taking too long (such as the one that refreshes the list of apps to propagate the home screen).

Nah.

Shouldn't have to reboot. I haven't had to reboot my iPhone since 2.2 came out, but that was when I was running stock.

Truth is as cell phones have increased in complexity and become more computer like in terms of web surfing, running 3rd party apps etc they've become more dependent on the occasional reboot. You SHOULDNT have to reboot but its recommended.
Themes are over-rated and usually do not look good. You can't color certain text colors (like Safari's title bar text and the spacebar text colors)

Some of the themes I've seen are pretty killer and if it weren't for the apple logo the black/silver around the screen people could of sworn it wasn't an iPhone. Its true I'd love to see more radical customization but alas complete themes are pretty darn close.
Backgrounder? WinterBoard, Cycorder? No.

Those seem to be the big 4 (including clippy) that people seem to run.
I agree.

I would like copy and paste, but I can live without it for now. I don't shoot video, so I'll pass on that. Background apps would be nice if it didn't have to run the entire GUI app in the background.
If only apps could exist GUI-less in the OS then I'd love that very much but all these things are easily done by Apple in the next software revision.

Uhh don't loose it? I'm sure someone with enough cracking experience could claim the same about a blackberry device or yet another cell phone <insert phone name>, you could remove SSH for starters.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
When I first jailbroke my iPhone, I kinda went overboard with all the themes and hacks and stuff until eventually my phone slowed to a crawl. So I singled out the certain things I really wanted from a jailbreak and kept these:

SBSettings (can't live without it for things like WiFi and Brightness without having to quit the app I'm in), Cycorder, MobileTerminal and MobileFinder.

I uninstalled WinterBoard because I'd rather have speed over good looks. Plus, I could probably d/l it again, pull the icons out of a theme, uninstall WB, and have no lag for the new icons being there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.