Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
And take out the voice until Apple allows it? Its obviously allowed on the phone, just not allowed to talk to you...

Not very many choices at this point for GPS!

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
I grew tired of waiting for turn by turn GPS with voice so i bought a Garmin unit for my car. Wasn't all that pricey, and now i don't have to worry about why or when Apple will approve one as an app.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 760 today. I got tired of waiting.

Edit: Haha, SwingOnThis

Luminator

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
Your kidding right? have you ever purchased maps from Garmin? There no windfall profit in iphone apps.

nrmillions

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I dont think its the voice part that isnt allowed, its the turn by turn directions that are not allowed which would make a garmin or tomtom app useless.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I dont think its the voice part that isnt allowed, its the turn by turn directions that are not allowed which would make a garmin or tomtom app useless.

Wrong, its spoken turn by turn thats not allowed. There is an app on the store that gives you GPS turn by turn just no voice.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
Why are voice guided turn-by-turn directions not allowed?! Doesn't make sense to me...

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Whats the name of the app?

G-Map US West or G-Map US East. $20 each in the app store. the best application i have along with pandora. this app has built in maps. if you have your phone jailbroken you can run this app and other apps at the same time and its great because it does not use data. the update was just put out last week. Believe me, reviews do not give this app justice.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Garmin's sided with Asus at least for the Nuvifone. I'd imagine we won't see an app from them at all. As for TomTom, i'd imagine that'll come at WWDC.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Wrong, its spoken turn by turn thats not allowed.
Well, the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement states: "For Applications that use location-based APIs, such Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance". It says nothing about that being restricted to voice guidance.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Problem: Liability Issue

The problem with the fact that Apple is not allowing Turn by Turn GPS system is the liability issue.

Lets say a user is using a navigation app on their iPhone while driving, and one of the direction the navigation app tells the driver is actually leading the car right into a swamp.

Imagine what kind of lawsuit Apple and the App Developers would face for the damage to the car, and imagine the reputation for not just the app, but for the Apple as a whole.

This is why Apple has not allowed GPS turn by turn navigation, and never will be, since Steve Jobs is on medical leave, and anything could go wrong if something happens right now, without Steve Jobs.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
The problem with the fact that Apple is not allowing Turn by Turn GPS system is the liability issue.

Lets say a user is using a navigation app on their iPhone while driving, and one of the direction the navigation app tells the driver is actually leading the car right into a swamp.

Imagine what kind of lawsuit Apple and the App Developers would face for the damage to the car, and imagine the reputation for not just the app, but for the Apple as a whole.

This is why Apple has not allowed GPS turn by turn navigation, and never will be, since Steve Jobs is on medical leave, and anything could go wrong if something happens right now, without Steve Jobs.

But isn't this the case for all GPS systems. To my knowledge, they all have a disclaimer when turning on the device. This would be the same case for an iPhone app. The new version on G-Map has a disclaimer, and the user has to agree to it before using the application. From my personal use, i don't think the iPhone has enough memory for this type of application to use it to it's extent.... but this is just my opinion.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
But isn't this the case for all GPS systems. To my knowledge, they all have a disclaimer when turning on the device. This would be the same case for an iPhone app. The new version on G-Map has a disclaimer, and the user has to agree to it before using the application. From my personal use, i don't think the iPhone has enough memory for this type of application to use it to it's extent.... but this is just my opinion.

Even if Apple required disclaimer on all turn by turn nav apps, imagine what kind of reputation Apple would get if the user was using an iPhone as the navigation device.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Even if Apple required disclaimer on all turn by turn nav apps, imagine what kind of reputation Apple would get if the user was using an iPhone as the navigation device.

A simply amazing reputation because then the device could literally do anything but MMS :p

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

That's a really bad argument, IMO. By that same logic, I shouldn't be allowed to watch an exercise video on my TV because it could cause me to have a heart attack, and the TV maker has a legal obligation to look out for my health.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
That's a really bad argument, IMO. By that same logic, I shouldn't be allowed to watch an exercise video on my TV because it could cause me to have a heart attack, and the TV maker has a legal obligation to look out for my health.

You're right about that.

But the iPhone will ignite the legality of having cell phone in the car even further.

nrmillions

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
Boston, MA
The iPhone's hardware could definitely handle the turn by turn GPS, i have had several old verizon phones that had it (VZ Navigator) so i'm sure the iPhone can. Other AT&T phones also have it. I also heard that TomTom had already made an iPhone app but apple rejected it since it used turn by turn. I think it is probably AT&T that isnt allowing it because they will offer it on their own for an extra monthly charge just like they do on their other phones. I wouldnt be surprised if it were offered on a future version of the iPhone for a monthly subscription fee just like how they are planning to offer tethering for $30 a month so they arent allowing anymore tethering apps. Its definitely not a legal issue otherwise no other phones would have it and there would be no GPS in cars or anything.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
well to me, as of right now, there is turn by turn in the G-Map application. it is 100X better than google maps. voice activated navigation would be nice, but i think this is all i would need in an application.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
You're right about that.

But the iPhone will ignite the legality of having cell phone in the car even further.

Just where is it illegal to have a cell phone in your car? And as someone else had pointed out, there are PLENTY of other phones that have turn-by-turn on them and they aren't having issues. And as for running your car into a swamp, hasn't any other GPS company been sued for this? If so, I'm sure it would have been on the front page of the news; it would be classic Americana.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well, the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement states: "For Applications that use location-based APIs, such Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance". It says nothing about that being restricted to voice guidance.

This is from Xroad's FAQ website page:

2. Does G-Map support real time Guidance? Such as Turn-by-Turn arrow and Voice prompt?

Currently, our application doesn't support turn by turn guidance including voice prompt. This is based on APPLE's strict strategy which prohibits any real time guidance. Once there’s any positive change in APPLE strategy, we'll support this function. Once there’s any positive change in APPLE strategy, we'll apply this function technically with no fail as well as free updates for this.

http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/FAQs/tabid/2497/Default.aspx

From this website, I'm sure Xroad would absolutely love to place this on their app, but they're pointing their finger at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.