Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:34 AM   #1
dazloe
macrumors member

Powermac G5 - Hardware test over 4 hours long?

Hey guys, I recently upgraded my RAM to 16GB on my G5 powermac. I thought I would run the hardware test to double check everything is all good (I checked in activity monitor etc. and everything was fine, it read the 16 GB.)

Now 4 hours into the hardware test (3 hours and forty minutes testing the RAM) I'm starting to wonder whether my machine is having some trouble. It says 'it should take 30 - 45 minutes or longer depending on how much RAM there is installed on the computer.'

So if anyone has any advice or can tell me whether it usually takes this long on a G5 powermac with 16GB of RAM that would really help! Cheers!
dazloe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Ús:
Banned

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazloe View Post
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my RAM to 16GB on my G5 powermac. I thought I would run the hardware test to double check everything is all good (I checked in activity monitor etc. and everything was fine, it read the 16 GB.)

Now 4 hours into the hardware test (3 hours and forty minutes testing the RAM) I'm starting to wonder whether my machine is having some trouble. It says 'it should take 30 - 45 minutes or longer depending on how much RAM there is installed on the computer.'

So if anyone has any advice or can tell me whether it usually takes this long on a G5 powermac with 16GB of RAM that would really help! Cheers!

That's a large amount of RAM and that's why the hardware test is taking so long.
Ús: is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ús: View Post
That's a large amount of RAM and that's why the hardware test is taking so long.
Agreed- the 30-45 minute time frame quoted is probably just for the stock configuration (my DP 2.7 only came stock with 512MB for example)-- so the OP is heavily into the "or longer" part of the quote!
sickmacdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4
zmttoxics
macrumors 65816

Holy Ram Batman!

I pondered doing the same to my g5 but its got 6GB and never uses more then 3.

Anyways, ram testing always takes a while, and 16GB you would have to assume takes for ever.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:36 PM   #5
dazloe
macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, I decided to leave the test running overnight. I got up just now and the test lasted 9 hours and 43 minutes! I'm really glad it finished though! I thought maybe there had been an unexpected error somewhere or maybe the installation disk was damaged.

So if anyone decides to do a hardware test and have that much RAM installed you now know what to expect! Thanks again for you help

PS. hahaha 'RAM Batman' Logic 8 and reason 4 rewired is really liking the gratuitous amounts of RAM
dazloe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs