Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my RAM to 16GB on my G5 powermac. I thought I would run the hardware test to double check everything is all good (I checked in activity monitor etc. and everything was fine, it read the 16 GB.)

Now 4 hours into the hardware test (3 hours and forty minutes testing the RAM) I'm starting to wonder whether my machine is having some trouble. It says 'it should take 30 - 45 minutes or longer depending on how much RAM there is installed on the computer.'

So if anyone has any advice or can tell me whether it usually takes this long on a G5 powermac with 16GB of RAM that would really help! Cheers!

és:

macrumors 6502a
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my RAM to 16GB on my G5 powermac. I thought I would run the hardware test to double check everything is all good (I checked in activity monitor etc. and everything was fine, it read the 16 GB.)

Now 4 hours into the hardware test (3 hours and forty minutes testing the RAM) I'm starting to wonder whether my machine is having some trouble. It says 'it should take 30 - 45 minutes or longer depending on how much RAM there is installed on the computer.'

So if anyone has any advice or can tell me whether it usually takes this long on a G5 powermac with 16GB of RAM that would really help! Cheers!

That's a large amount of RAM and that's why the hardware test is taking so long.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
That's a large amount of RAM and that's why the hardware test is taking so long.
Agreed- the 30-45 minute time frame quoted is probably just for the stock configuration (my DP 2.7 only came stock with 512MB for example)-- so the OP is heavily into the "or longer" part of the quote!;)

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Holy Ram Batman!

I pondered doing the same to my g5 but its got 6GB and never uses more then 3.

Anyways, ram testing always takes a while, and 16GB you would have to assume takes for ever.

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the responses, I decided to leave the test running overnight. I got up just now and the test lasted 9 hours and 43 minutes! I'm really glad it finished though! I thought maybe there had been an unexpected error somewhere or maybe the installation disk was damaged.

So if anyone decides to do a hardware test and have that much RAM installed you now know what to expect! Thanks again for you help :)

PS. hahaha 'RAM Batman' :) Logic 8 and reason 4 rewired is really liking the gratuitous amounts of RAM :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.