Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cujays1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
My old iMac G5 PowerPC finally had its day -- the logic board died on me. Instead of spending $900 on a new logic board, I decided to purchase a new intel based iMac.

I used Time Machine to back up my data on my G5. I obviously want this data on my new iMac. However -- I don't want the old applications (like iLife 06, etc etc.). I would obviously like to keep the new applications (like iLife 09).

So I guess my question is this: If I do a full restore, does that only do my files or does it include all my apps from my G5?

If it includes the apps, is there a way to do a piece meal restore to only get the files I want (music, photos, videos and documents)?

I appreciate the assistance.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd use Migration Assistant in the setup and only transfer over your user files from the latest Time Machine backup.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It includes all applications. I believe you can open Time Machine backups created on other computers (can't remember how offhand, don't have Leopard in front of me), so you should be able to selectively restore from there. Worst case scenario, you could manually restore files from the Time Machine backup.

petemwah

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
if i were you i'd spend the time to just copy over user files (like documents/music etc) and reinstall applications rather than restoring from a backup, always nice to have a fresh install, with the latest version of software and everything in the right place, gets you in stead for good habits!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If the logic board is dead, the only way to access the files is by physically removing the drive. I'd suggest parting it out and selling the LCD and so forth on eBay, which should fetch you a few hundred dollars. If you're planning to disassemble anyway, you may as well grab the files directly from the hard drive, and reuse the hard drive as an external if you have a use for the extra storage. Otherwise, the Time Machine backup would be fine.

If you have to go into the backup manually, you will have to copy from the command line because of the way Time Machine stores files that have not changed since previous backups.

cujays1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
If the logic board is dead, the only way to access the files is by physically removing the drive. I'd suggest parting it out and selling the LCD and so forth on eBay, which should fetch you a few hundred dollars. If you're planning to disassemble anyway, you may as well grab the files directly from the hard drive, and reuse the hard drive as an external if you have a use for the extra storage. Otherwise, the Time Machine backup would be fine.

If you have to go into the backup manually, you will have to copy from the command line because of the way Time Machine stores files that have not changed since previous backups.

I am planning on removing the HDD and (assuming there are no issues with it), placing it in an external enclosure. Would it make more sense for me to simply mount that disk and pull over the individual user files I want instead of doing it through Time Machine?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I am planning on removing the HDD and (assuming there are no issues with it), placing it in an external enclosure. Would it make more sense for me to simply mount that disk and pull over the individual user files I want instead of doing it through Time Machine?
Do it via Time Machine and use Migration Assistant during the setup to only copy over your user files.

Why all this other advice?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC

Absolutely. It will be easier to selectively restore files, and you will get the very latest versions in case there have been changes since the latest Time Machine backup.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Just use Migration Assistant and selectively migrate. Save the drive for a month or so before you reformat it incase you forget to move anything.

cujays1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Just use Migration Assistant and selectively migrate. Save the drive for a month or so before you reformat it incase you forget to move anything.

Are you suggesting using Time Machine or the old HDD for the Migration? There seems to be a division amongst the responders as to which one to use...

I want to use the easiest of the two. My Time Machine and old HDD are pretty close to about the same.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Are you suggesting using Time Machine or the old HDD for the Migration? There seems to be a division amongst the responders as to which one to use...

I want to use the easiest of the two. My Time Machine and old HDD are pretty close to about the same.
You can migrate from a Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.