Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that Apple is developing an on-demand video service that would allow users to stream their purchased iTunes movies and TV shows from Apple's servers for playback on personal devices. The service, to be called "iTunes Replay", would eliminate the need for users to provide significant storage space for their libraries of purchased digital video.

In particular, devices with limited storage capacity, such as the iPhone/iPod touch and Apple TV, could benefit from this service, removing the need to sync with a host computer to load desired video files and circumventing storage capacity constraints of the portable devices.
The iTunes Replay service could also improve the experience of the company's Apple TV set top box, allowing users to stream purchased media directly from Apple's servers without ever syncing or copying files between Apple TV and a computer running iTunes, and without filling up the devices' limited hard drive space, which currently tops out at 160 GB.

The ability to stream purchased content directly would also benefit users of mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPod touch, which have an even greater limit on local storage capacity but already have the ability to stream QuickTime content directly over the air.
AppleInsider notes that while Amazon's Video on Demand and Netflix's Instant Watch services provide similar functionality, DRM requirements imposed by content owners have resulted in certain limitations on playback ability, generally requiring an Internet browser. Apple, however, has already integrated DRM tools into its devices, which would allow for a more flexible viewing experience for users.

Apple has been known to be exploring streaming iTunes media to the iPhone and iPod touch, with a recent patent application addressing the ability for users to stream their own at-home iTunes libraries to their mobile devices while on the go.

Article Link: 'iTunes Replay' On-Demand Video Coming?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't know about a monthly fee.

I'd pay a premium on content ($1.29 a song?) if it meant I could download a copy to keep, PLUS have a copy "in the cloud" ready for me to play anytime to any authorized computer, iPhone, Apple TV, etc. Bonus points if I can get it to a UPnP or DLNA-enabled media center, like an XBox, PS3, or those internet streaming radios.

I'd also be willing to pay a discounted price on movies, etc. to "lease" it -- it wouldn't let me download a copy to keep, but I could stream it anytime to the above devices. Like an endless rental with unlimited plays.

I doubt these are inline with what Apple or the industry wants to do, but those are the services I would personally be interested in.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Interesting. But I don't see a point to pay for something when i'm doing just fine now without paying for a subscription, regardless of the perks. Another monthly payment for something? Please..

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Now thats a good idea. Buy a movie off iTunes, either download it or have a flag in my account that allows me to view it anytime I want.

I think the Apple TV is more than just a hobby for apple, I think its a beta test right now and they are going to be the company that really gets digital distribution right.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Personally, I think this is another early sign that Apple wants to make iPhones (and iPods) into thin clients. I believe this is the future for these devices (this includes even Apple's competitors). This will result in even thinner and lighter devices. Why have 400 GB flash drive when you can stream everything wherever you are?

w00master

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
How feasible is this considering the bandwidth caps that many ISP's are placing on their services? Streaming on this level would surely eat into limits fast.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
This is all well and good, Apple. But how about you just keep all the content on your servers and stream it to me wherever I am, whenever I want it? You know, just keep it in the cloud?

Edit: Okay, apparently I need to read the AppleInsider article...

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
This is all well and good, Apple. But how about you just keep all the content on your servers and stream it to me wherever I am, whenever I want it? You know, just keep it in the cloud?

That's what the article is describing.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
From a business perspective I see this as a great revenue generation tool. Buy from us and you can stream to any of our hardware devices.

From a personal user experience, I just want Apple to allow me to watch movies (Apple TV) without the need to have iTunes up and running on a host computer (I keep all movies on NAS) and also allow me to stream my personal movies from my home network to my iPhone (not from Apple Servers).

Overall I think this is atleast a step in the right direction.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
I'd rather just have TV show rentals (with a longer viewing period than 24 hours). I prefer to download a rented movie rather than stream it, because once I get enough of the show buffered the fast-forward, rewind and pause work very well. Then when I am done with the movie it goes away, so I don't waste space on my hard-drive. The only real problem is the short 24 hour viewing period. With TV shows I buy them, and then I can't bring myself to erase them, so they take up lots of hard drive space. If Apple would rent shows for $0.99 and allow a little longer viewing period I would be very happy. I would not like it if the "streaming" to the apple TV included the clunky controls that I experience with On Demand or NBC.com.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
I would rather download something i can play when I want without streaming, especially here in NZ where BB speeds can be terrible. I am 200m from a cabinet with ADSL2+ (after they have run optic around the city and cabinetised the network) and i still only get 4mb if i am lucky usually more like 3mb. And you notice when 2 computers are doing something. Now give me a stable connection and a faster mobile connection and it might work! :D

Dual Pistolas

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Why does everything stored in the cloud have to be streamable? Why not just make it so I can re-download stuff I've bought?

While you're at it, do the same thing with the music!

Also, I'd love an *option* to watch video or listen to audio for free, but have it be ad-supported.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
My cousin and I were sitting on his back porch one night last summer talking about this very concept.

I have my iPhone, my Macbook Pro, and my Mac Pro. My wife has a Macbook and an iMac. I also have a Mac mini at work and 2 Apple TVs at home.

Now all my content is stored on the Mac Pro with select copies of that content on each of the devices above.

Ideally, I'd want to be able to stream all of my iTunes purchased content to any of those devices from the cloud. Watching season one of "Top Chef" last night on the AppleTV (wife loves the show), I was thinking how great it is to get TV content this way, but kinda miffed that it took up 500 Megs on my Mac Pro for that season.

For iTunes movies and TV shows, I'd love to stream it from the cloud. For music, I'd want the local files on my Mac Pro, with the ability to stream the purchased content on any other device my iTunes account was associated with.

Additionally, I think they should build on the back to my mac feature of Mobile Me (and add another selling point to the service) to allow you to stream *all* of your iTunes content, not just store purchases, to any device from MobileMe.

zama36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

What is described is not a subscription service but an extension of iTunes sales model. I would use my Apple TV more if it was implemented correctly. Purchase on an Apple TV watch a streamed version then download afterwards to iTunes.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
That's a great idea. But heres the thing. Why doesnt the movies that we buy, doesnt come with extras? just like the dvd?
thats the only reason i dont like buying movies or shows on iTunes.

zama36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

kepardue said:
How feasible is this considering the bandwidth caps that many ISP's are placing on their services? Streaming on this level would surely eat into limits fast.

Don't know of an ISP that is currently capping like you described but if it were happening Netflix on Xbox wouldn't be as successful as it is.

Melan

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
this is definitely a good step in the right direction, I just wonder if apple can pull off 'the cloud' on this scale better than they do with mobileme. I mean, this is gigs and gigs of data per person.

As for TV show rentals, yes yes yes. I know the news isn't about this but I can't help but get excited about it. $1-2 dollar TV show rentals and I would never visit a torrent site again

wooo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
What you're describing is sorta the goal of what ooTunes does. It lets you store all your music, movies, etc. on your home computer, and access them wherever you are with an internet connection.

Check out the server here:
http://ootunes.com

and the recently released iphone app client here:
http://ootunes.com/app/

Of course, it's not free, but no monthly fee (it just uses your existing home internet connection for bandwidth.)

And as a disclaimer, I'm the developer so if you buy it, I get money so, you totally should :)

My cousin and I were sitting on his back porch one night last summer talking about this very concept.

I have my iPhone, my Macbook Pro, and my Mac Pro. My wife has a Macbook and an iMac. I also have a Mac mini at work and 2 Apple TVs at home.

Now all my content is stored on the Mac Pro with select copies of that content on each of the devices above.

Ideally, I'd want to be able to stream all of my iTunes purchased content to any of those devices from the cloud. Watching season one of "Top Chef" last night on the AppleTV (wife loves the show), I was thinking how great it is to get TV content this way, but kinda miffed that it took up 500 Megs on my Mac Pro for that season.

For iTunes movies and TV shows, I'd love to stream it from the cloud. For music, I'd want the local files on my Mac Pro, with the ability to stream the purchased content on any other device my iTunes account was associated with.

Additionally, I think they should build on the back to my mac feature of Mobile Me (and add another selling point to the service) to allow you to stream *all* of your iTunes content, not just store purchases, to any device from MobileMe.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Well I hope this become reality. I would buy more tv shows and films off AppleTV if it was stored by Apple and available to stream or redownload whenever I want. The only problem I have with buying digital content is continually making sure I have hard drive space and then backing it all up. As much as I prefer having it digitally sometimes its less hassle just to buy the disc!

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I have to agree with those that are skeptical about this. I was under the impression that apple was already straining in their ability to provide their content (itunes music and videos, app store apps, downloadable software like itunes, software updates). As I understand, apple already subcontracts their server/streaming services, why would they invite a huge jump in services that they sub out already? Seems to me like a lot of headache with little profit.

Certainly cool though- it would suck to keep buying hard drives to store all of the video files (esp. with high def) and backing it all up!

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Streaming sounds good in theory, but I've yet to be 100% satisfied with any kind of streaming I've done in the past. I don't want to be listening to music, or watching shows, with any kind of pauses or hiccups - even if it's for a fraction of a second. Stuff like that drives me crazy, and really takes me out of my entertainment experience. When they can get something like this to be completely flawless in execution, then I'll get very excited about it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.