Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:26 PM   #1
sthall
macrumors newbie

Power Mac G4 won't turn on

My client's Power Mac G4 won't turn on. He says there was a power outtage while his computer was on, and a few hours later, after power was restored to his house, he could no longer turn on his Mac. He pushes the Power Button, and the light glows while his finger is on it, but it goes off after he releases it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve Hall
sthall is offline   0
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
tell him to unplug it, open it, and push the little black button on the motherboard, or popping the battery out for a few minutes. Then try it... Ask him if it's ever blinked in a pattern, which would indicate a self-diagnostic code. Beyond that, test the power supply, which could die in a sudden power drop.

paul

Last edited by paulwhannel; Mar 21, 2004 at 10:35 PM. Reason: expanding
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Sounds like the remote Power switch's (The Button on the Front) circuit board has been fried. To start up the computer. Switch it off in the back, unplug it, plug it back in, switch it back on and try it again. It was a common Problem in the Gigabit PowerMacs. Look into getting a replacment from Apple, shouldn't cost more than $30.

An original Mac USB keyboard will be able to start it up too.

TEG
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4
iEric
macrumors 6502a

this happened to me...just push the little button..i think its near the fan and its call PMU or something like that..hahha sorry, this happened a while ago and I tend to forget the little small things in life...

13" MPA, 1.8 Ghz i7; TBD; 32 GB iPhone 4
iEric is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers