Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
N3wbie
macrumors newbie

Persuade parents to keep iPod Touch?

Ok, so today at school I was in gym class, and my ball goes under the bleachers.

I go under there, and to my suprise. AN IPOD TOUCH!

I checked it's contact list.. it was empty, there was no form of contact information in it.

So, i did what any kid would do. Take it home.

I asked my mom if i could keep it and she was all like. THAT BELONGS TO SOMEBODY! RAWR.

She said i need to talk it over my dad.

How can i persuade them in letting me keep it?

I tried to find out who's it was, but there was no information.

And if it goes into the lost and found, some teacher will just pocket it.

Please, how can i persuade my parents into letting me keep it?
N3wbie is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
iParis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
If you put it in the lost and found, a student will take it.
Make a deal with your parents.
Something like, "Ok, I'll go to the office and ask if anybody is missing an iPod touch. I will go back in two week and if they still haven't had anyone come up, can I keep it?"
- Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz / 4GB ram / 120GB HD / 10.8.4
iParis is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Shotgun OS
macrumors 6502a

I would make announcements around the school asking if anyone lost their iPod. There obviously has to be some kind of music/notes/apps on it. If the student can correctly name many of the apps and/or music on it or some notes, then it would be somewhat easier to find out whose iPod it is. Or, even just ask for the serial number. The person would have to have the box somewhere, so that would also verify it.

I wouldn't just give up so easily and say, 'Oh well! I couldn't find the owner. My iPod now!" Imagine if it was your iPod.

Space Gray iPhone 5S | 15" Macbook Pro | White iPad 2
Shotgun OS is online now   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
mzd
macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I agree with your parents. RAWR.
You should turn it into the lost and found. You can leave your name and ask "If no one claims it after a few weeks can I have it?" but really, just imagine it was you who lost it. Depending on the size, that is $200-$400 item and whoever lost it is pretty upset right now I'd imagine. Do the right thing.
And as for a teacher stealing it - a) I know quite a few teachers and for the vast majority, that would not be an issue, and, b) someone else's possible (not even probable) actions do not condone your own.

sorry to be preachy.

www.theclothsea.com
mzd is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:21 PM   #5
petemwah
macrumors regular

why are you bumping this? you've been given the best advice, hand it in! as said before, someone could prove this is theirs by saying a few distinctive artists or applications that are on the ipod and it's not yours to keep!
petemwah is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:27 PM   #6
HelloMotto
macrumors newbie

finders keepers.
HelloMotto is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:19 PM   #7
jbcandkc
macrumors newbie

Put a note in Lost and Found that says you found an Ipod. If anybody can identify it, they can claim it. If nobody can claim it by identifying it after 2 (maybe 4 weeks would be better), tell your parents you did the best you could.
jbcandkc is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:32 PM   #8
macrumors 6502

do you believe in karma?
do the right thing.
2056 is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:30 PM   #9
veeco3110
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to veeco3110
keep it. i found an iphone with ((weirdest thing)) no numbers. no out going calls. no contacts. nothing on it. i kept it. but i guess that makes me a terrible person. im gonna go eat a live baby cow now.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:53 PM   #10
alexlovesmacs
macrumors 6502a

Do the right thing and put it in the lost in found they're many people (including me) that lose their iPod's and just simply want it back.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:56 PM   #11
AKmike
macrumors newbie

You will be better for finding the owner. They will be VERY happy. And as much as you want to keep it I'm sure you can imagine how much they want it back. If nothing else look at it this way, if you personally get it back to the owner you will be a big hero and all the girls will think your a badass.

...I just wanted to add that there are times when you find something and you won't be able to find the owner without an epic quest. $20 on the ground, whatever. This is a very solvable mystery. It probably even belongs to someone you know.

Last edited by AKmike; Feb 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
AKmike is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:56 PM   #12
iParis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlovesmacs View Post
Do the right thing and put it in the lost in found they're many people (including me) that lose their iPod's and just simply want it back.
There are also many people that would steal stuff from the lost and found.
- Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz / 4GB ram / 120GB HD / 10.8.4
iParis is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:10 AM   #13
MacGnG
macrumors member

gotta agree with asking at the office and then go back in a week.

this whole thing about turning it in and then getting it back later does not work. we do that at work: if you find money they put your name on it and you get it if no one claims it.... DOESNT happen.
MacGnG is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:42 AM   #14
teflon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParis View Post
There are also many people that would steal stuff from the lost and found.
That doesn't make it okay for you to steal it. Like another poster said, other's possible wrongdoings do not excuse your own.

OP, you know what the right thing to do is all along. You don't need to start a thread to know it is wrong to keep other people's valuables. As you're bumping the thread even when excellent advice has already been given, it is evident that you don't want advice, only justification for dishonourable and shameful behaviours. I hope you'll do the right thing and try everything you can to return the iPod to its rightful owner. It really isn't hard. It's not like you found it on the street. Do an announcement, post an ad by the lost and found, inform the office, and the owner will come in no time.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:51 AM   #15
sushi
Moderator emeritus

N3wbie, you know what you should do. So just do the right thing.

If you are afraid someone will pocket it from lost and found, then just say you found an iPod and then get descriptions and go from there.

Surely there is some identifying info on the iPod such as music, pics, video, apps, contact info, calendar info, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:01 AM   #16
schizoidwoman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
N3wbie, you know what you should do. So just do the right thing.

If you are afraid someone will pocket it from lost and found, then just say you found an iPod and then get descriptions and go from there.

Surely there is some identifying info on the iPod such as music, pics, video, apps, contact info, calendar info, etc.
That's the best idea, I think. You've been honest in saying you would like to keep it so you're not worried on behalf of the original owner that it will be stolen from lost and found, you're more worried you would lose your free iPod!

If you're really concerned that someone will take it from lost and found then simply report the find and explain that you took the item home and it's safe there until someone claims it. As other posters have said, the owner should be able to identify the apps/songs etc and then they can be reunited with their iPod.

Put yourself in the place of the owner and do the right thing...

Edit - Incidentally, you finding this iPod does seem like an exceptionally coincidental bit of luck based on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=635052
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:14 AM   #17
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizoidwoman View Post
Edit - Incidentally, you finding this iPod does seem like an exceptionally coincidental bit of luck based on this:

Good catch. More to the story...
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Good catch. More to the story...
Heh. "Theft forums". I remember that.
Tallest Skil is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:22 AM   #19
schizoidwoman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
Heh. "Theft forums". I remember that.
That's what rang the bell... I remembered your "theft forums" comment and went searching!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:33 AM   #20
gear71428
macrumors member

I can't give you any advise on what you should do but I will tell you that the person you are is based upon your actions not your intent. What kind of person are you?
gear71428 is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:03 AM   #21
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear71428 View Post
I will tell you that the person you are is based upon your actions not your intent.
Wise words.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:51 AM   #22
ChrisA
macrumors G4

You can't just ask "Did anyone loose an iPod" because you will get 50 kids who will say "yes". You say you found one and if they can describe what is inside, the songs or whatever then you will give it back.

Likley no one will come forward and you can keep it.

i really thing Apple should allow people to register their iPods and iPhones. Every device aalready has a kind of ID stamped inside. If they were regitered then no one would steal them (because you'd be caught as soon as you connected to the Internet.) and also returning them would be easy
ChrisA is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:49 AM   #23
Macman756
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Macman756
Just try and give it back. You would want someone to do that to you.

Last edited by Macman756; Feb 12, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Macman756 is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:42 PM   #24
AKmike
macrumors newbie

OP, you should let everyone know what you did so we can either heap the praise on or have our three minutes hate and then go about our lives. I know I'm at the edge of my seat.

There's a free app called "if Found" that puts your contact info on the unlock screen. It's a long shot obviously, but it heads off the argument that not a single bit of contact info could be found in the device. It puts it right in front of your face right away. One could laugh it off and say no one would ever return it but I know I would so it's a small step to take to hope someone else would too.

One cool thing with that app is it creates a photo you can use as wallpaper so really once you use it you can delete the app. It doesn't continue to do anything... unless you want to change the wallpaper of course.
AKmike is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:48 PM   #25
Kthxbai
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizoidwoman View Post

Incidentally, you finding this iPod does seem like an exceptionally coincidental bit of luck based on this:

Based on that i'd say "obvious troll is obvious", and leave it at that
Kthxbai is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland