Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Is there a way by jailbreaking or using the native appstore to get command prompt or cmd?
OR even an app like it that will allow me to remote control and do certain things to computers without touching them.
A couple of the things I'd be interested in, shutting down or pinging a computer with my iPod.

Thanks.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Is there a way by jailbreaking or using the native appstore to get command prompt or cmd?
OR even an app like it that will allow me to remote control and do certain things to computers without touching them.
A couple of the things I'd be interested in, shutting down or pinging a computer with my iPod.

Thanks.

A command prompt or cmd is applicable to Microsoft Windows only. Apple operating systems are unix based so what you need is a shell. An ssh daemon or server is what you want and the most common used on iPhones and iPod touch devices is Mobile Terminal. You will have to crack your device to be able to install that application.

Google for Pwnage Tool which is used to build a custom firmware package for you iPod or iPhone and has proven to be the most reliable.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
A command prompt or cmd is applicable to Microsoft Windows only. Apple operating systems are unix based so what you need is a shell. An ssh daemon or server is what you want and the most common used on iPhones and iPod touch devices is Mobile Terminal. You will have to crack your device to be able to that application.

So... jailbreak. Sounds like fun. If I install mobile terminal, will I be able to do stuff on a network to Windows computers like I would if I were running command prompt on a Windows OS?

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
So... jailbreak. Sounds like fun. If I install mobile terminal, will I be able to do stuff on a network to Windows computers like I would if I were running command prompt on a Windows OS?

It is a lot of fun. There are a couple of RDP Remote Desktop applications that allow you to remote control a Windows pc from your iPod or iPhone. Once you start looking you'll find literally hundreds and hundreds of applications out there.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It is a lot of fun. There are a couple of RDP Remote Desktop applications that allow you to remote control a Windows pc from your iPod or iPhone. Once you start looking you'll find literally hundreds and hundreds of applications out there.

Yeah, I looked in to the Remote Desktop applications on the App Store. They're not what I'm looking for though. Sometimes my friends and I will get bored in PC Tech class so we will start using command prompt to shut each other's computers down. I want to be able to shut them down from my iPod. Using a remote desktop app wouldn't really work since my home computer isn't on my school's domain.
I would also use the mobile terminal to check my connection speed and a few other things.

iamtheipoddude

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
Easyest way....
If ur iPod ia jailbroken den go to installous or woteva and
downlaod da following

jaadu rdp

best remote desktop der is
or Downlaod terminal from cydia

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
dis ih how i tlk cuz i dun knuh how tu speak english corretly. dis ih da most funnest wahy tu tal wen u dun knuh how tu speak english corretly.

nobody likes to see people type that way. its not cool, and it doesnt make you look cool.

sounds like your a freaking baby.

meiii1

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Command Prompt on the ipod touch

Yes you can get command prompt on the ipod touch but u need to jailbreak it.
You need to download Cydia and Blackra1n search Blackra1n on google to get you started

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.