Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:02 AM   #1
3Gmatt
macrumors newbie

Question German character "" (ess-tset) on iPhone keyboard?

Hi,

I have searched the forum and not found a solution.

How do I type the "" (ess-tset, or in German, Eszett) character on my iPhone keyboard (3G, 2.2)? Umlauts are not a problem as you simply hold down the vowel key, but I can't find the anywhere.

Thanks,

3Gmatt.
3Gmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:24 AM   #2
mcpryon2
macrumors 6502

You'll probably kick yourself, but...hold down the s key.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:45 AM   #3
elppa
macrumors 68040

option + s on a Mac (for anyone interested in doing the same thing).

Interestingly I think this is one example where a virtual keyboard has a fixed, physical one beat. You can't hold down a key on a physical keyboard to see more options.
elppa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:14 AM   #4
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpryon2 View Post
You'll probably kick yourself, but...hold down the s key.
I think you need to add the German keyboard first though (Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards ). wasn't available in the UK, French or Romanian keyboards.
stomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:22 AM   #5
Stampyhead
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomer View Post
I think you need to add the German keyboard first though (Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards ). wasn't available in the UK, French or Romanian keyboards.
Yes it is, I just tried it on my UK 3G phone. It won't show up if you have the Shift key highlighted, but if you hold down the 's' key without Shift you'll see '' as the first option in the list.
Stampyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:34 AM   #6
3Gmatt
macrumors newbie

Thanks, I was trying every key with Shift highlighted, ha ha. Consider myself kicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
Interestingly I think this is one example where a virtual keyboard has a fixed, physical one beat. You can't hold down a key on a physical keyboard to see more options.
Agreed, it's brilliant in that respect. Slightly o/t, but I am looking forward to the day when we have a keyboard-sized touch panel instead... totally re-configurable, oh yes
3Gmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:29 PM   #7
George Wilson
macrumors newbie

Has this possibility disappeared since iOS6?

The function of switching to the German keyboard, then pressing and holding the letter 's', no longer displays the 'ess-tset'. Have I missed something?
George Wilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting