Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3Gmatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Hi,

I have searched the forum and not found a solution.

How do I type the "ß" (ess-tset, or in German, Eszett) character on my iPhone keyboard (3G, 2.2)? Umlauts are not a problem as you simply hold down the vowel key, but I can't find the ß anywhere.

Thanks,

3Gmatt.

Reactions: jeffwilbur

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
option + s on a Mac (for anyone interested in doing the same thing).

Interestingly I think this is one example where a virtual keyboard has a fixed, physical one beat. You can't hold down a key on a physical keyboard to see more options.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I think you need to add the German keyboard first though (Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards ). ß wasn't available in the UK, French or Romanian keyboards.

Yes it is, I just tried it on my UK 3G phone. It won't show up if you have the Shift key highlighted, but if you hold down the 's' key without Shift you'll see 'ß' as the first option in the list.

3Gmatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks, I was trying every key with Shift highlighted, ha ha. Consider myself kicked :p

Interestingly I think this is one example where a virtual keyboard has a fixed, physical one beat. You can't hold down a key on a physical keyboard to see more options.

Agreed, it's brilliant in that respect. Slightly o/t, but I am looking forward to the day when we have a keyboard-sized touch panel instead... totally re-configurable, oh yes :cool:

George Wilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Swansea
Has this possibility disappeared since iOS6?

The function of switching to the German keyboard, then pressing and holding the letter 's', no longer displays the 'ess-tset'. Have I missed something?

szbbb2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

I have searched the forum and not found a solution.

How do I type the "ß" (ess-tset, or in German, Eszett) character on my iPhone keyboard (3G, 2.2)? Umlauts are not a problem as you simply hold down the vowel key, but I can't find the ß anywhere.

Thanks,

3Gmatt.

I find it under long tap ‘s’ on “Deutsche (Österreich)” keyboard on iOS12.

szbbb2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
Seems like that was what was already mentioned almost 10 years ago in this thread.
Seems like that was what was already mentioned almost 10 years ago in this thread.
Yes, it is similar, but nowadays the simple German(Germany) keyboard doesn’t contains this character, so I would like to help someone to find solution in 2019.

BBarracuda93

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2016
Yes, it is similar, but nowadays the simple German(Germany) keyboard doesn’t contains this character, so I would like to help someone to find solution in 2019.

Just long press the S key...

1D7AB424-B349-4523-94AE-8A7A9CA8E1E6.jpeg

draa

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Normal German keyboard supports ß, too. No need to install another keyboard. There’s no capital letter ß - therefore you can’t type ß when caps is locked (e.g. at the beginning of a text with auto-caps option on).

88C6FCAB-3F86-4FB5-8D66-838302A7A74F.jpeg

2C7AA365-CA7C-434B-94E5-643E24B8E5DA.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.