Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Kaioo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Which mac laptop for photo editing

So here's the thing...

Current laptop:
Macbook Pro - Penryn 2.4Ghz - 2GB RAM - NVIDIA8600 256mb VRAM

This baby of mine will soon be used by my brother. And now I'm in a bit of dilemma about the next laptop I'm gonna buy. Hopefully you guys can help me.
So here's the contenders:

1. New Macbook 13inch
- Proc 2.4Ghz
- Ram 4GB DDR3
- HDD 320GB SATA
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB DDR3 shared with RAM
- Price: Euro 1.729

2. New Macbook Pro 15inch
- Proc 2.4Ghz
- Ram 2GB DDR3
- HDD 250GB SATA
- NVIDIA GeForce 9600M 256MB DDR3 + GeForce 9400M 256MB DDR3 (shared)
- Price: Euro 1.799

My thoughts so far are:
1. Some says the screen on MB is inferior than the one in MBP.
2. I'm still not sure which one is better for photo editing, 256mb onboard VRAM with 4GB memory (MB)? or 256mb dedicated VRAM with 2GB memory (MBP)?
3. I can't spend more than 1800 euro, that's why the 2 specs above are pretty much the best builds there are.

Recommendations are very welcome.
Thanks in advance. Cheers...
Kaioo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Badradio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioo View Post
2. I'm still not sure which one is better for photo editing, 256mb onboard VRAM with 4GB memory (MB)? or 256mb dedicated VRAM with 2GB memory (MBP)?
Unless you're "editing" in Aperture, or Snow Leopard delivers on its promise to use the GPU for heavy processing, I don't think the video card is an issue - it's barely used in most 2D apps. I just bought the bottom-end MBP you listed, and it flies for photo editing (I'm using Lightroom and Pixelmator) but the one thing I'm missing is the screen space. I'm going to get a monitor to add to it, which will be perfect for me. Unless you have a monitor already, is there any room in your budget to go for the MacBook, but maybe less RAM/smaller HD so you could include a second screen? That'd give you the most usable setup IMO.

Last edited by Badradio; Feb 12, 2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Poor punctuation skills...
Badradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Kaioo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badradio View Post
Unless you're "editing" in Aperture, or Snow Leopard delivers on its promise to use the GPU for heavy processing, I don't think the video card is an issue - it's barely used in most 2D apps. I just bought the bottom-end MBP you listed, and it flies for photo editing (I'm using Lightroom and Pixelmator) but the one thing I'm missing is the screen space. I'm going to get a monitor to add to it, which will be perfect for me. Unless you have a monitor already, is there any room in your budget to go for the MacBook, but maybe less RAM/smaller HD so you could include a second screen? That'd give you the most usable setup IMO.
Actually I also use lightroom. The screen space is not an issue for me since I already have external monitor for home-use. My biggest concern is the GPU thingy. So if that's not an issue, it's even better for me coz I want something smaller to carry on daily basis.
Kaioo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
raxafarian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
ummmm.... the one you already have.

What would be the point of "upgrading"? Max out the ram in your current MBP and think about upgrading after the next MAJOR upgrade if you must have the latest and greatest.
raxafarian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Badradio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Manchester
Well if it helps put your mind at rest, I do most of my editing using the onboard GPU as I only use the 9600 for the odd bit of gaming, and even with only 2GB RAM it flies.
Badradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Kaioo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by raxafarian View Post
ummmm.... the one you already have.

What would be the point of "upgrading"? Max out the ram in your current MBP and think about upgrading after the next MAJOR upgrade if you must have the latest and greatest.
Well, I know, 'upgrading' is not really the correct term here. The thing is, I'm gonna spend the money anyway to buy a mac for my brother. So that got me thinking if maybe I can use the new one myself and delegate my current laptop to my brother. Second reason, I always want a smaller laptop, I brought it with me everyday.

So yeah, it's not like I have to have the latest release for nothing...
Kaioo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a new laptop for photo editing kxfrog MacBook Pro 6 Jul 28, 2010 01:50 PM
Which to use for photo editing? hkbladelawkhk iMac 7 May 28, 2010 12:39 PM
which external monitor for photo editing? kvdv Digital Photography 5 Feb 26, 2010 11:42 AM
Which Mac laptop for basic internet use? bgbird Buying Tips and Advice 38 Feb 23, 2009 11:34 PM
Which program to use for photo editing? Paul S Mac Basics and Help 4 Dec 4, 2006 03:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC