Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:50 AM   #1
jiggie2g
macrumors 6502

ROXIO Strikes back ...at iLife that is.

Has anyone seen or tired Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 , from what i have seen Both PC Mag http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1527191,00.asp
and Cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/Roxio_Easy_M...6.html?tag=pop have given it great reviews. Looks like the Windows World may have just gotten thier own iLife without Apple's help. Could this maybe Provoke Apple further into Porting the real thing on Windows?

Last edited by jiggie2g; Mar 22, 2004 at 10:22 AM.
jiggie2g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:20 AM   #2
jxyama
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie2g
Could this maybe Provoke Apple further into Porting the real thing on Windows?
iLife's purpose is to sell more Macs, period. iTunes was an exception for the sake of iPod and iTMS - there was an overwhelmingly profittable section of the market apple couldn't do without and any "lost" switchers due to iTunes being offered for Windows could be offset by the sale of iPods.

as long as apple doesn't sell digital cameras, digital camcorders or iDVD specific dvd burners, there's absolutely no incentive for apple to port the rest of iLife.

the program itself looks like a good move on Roxio's part...

Last edited by jxyama; Mar 22, 2004 at 10:28 AM.
jxyama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:30 AM   #3
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i dont ever think apple will port iLife over to windows, and if they did it would be the end of apple - iLife is another reason for people to buy Macs, and apple needs the sale of Macs to keep it alive. Apple cannot survive on software sales alone, so if you were to port iLife over to another platform you would be ending one of the major incentives for using a Mac...ect ect ect
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:47 AM   #4
Zaty
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Zaty
It would definitely be a mistake to port iLife completely. But they could release free "lite" versions (i.e. limited versions) of iPhoto and iMovie for Windows as a bait for Windows user and make them switch. I know, it's not going to happen because it's not as easy as it sounds but it would be a great move.
Zaty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:17 AM   #5
briankonar
macrumors regular

ugh...iLife sucks. who cares. nothing like using software that's so simple it makes me feel like i have no control.

go pro.
briankonar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankonar
ugh...iLife sucks. who cares. nothing like using software that's so simple it makes me feel like i have no control.

go pro.
That's the whole point of the product, herr power user. I doubt my 80 year old mom would want FCP or AVID, but she sure can use iLife. Life, for some, is too short to "have control" (or be controlled)... they just want it to work without spending a goodly portion of your time just discovering what the 200 buttons mean in a pro product. Hell, I'm pretty smart, but FCP was a nightmare to learn, and I still have issues on making someting watchable. So the verdict: Use your pro products, and let the vast majority of users in the country get something done.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:05 PM   #7
carbonmotion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern
That's the whole point of the product, herr power user. I doubt my 80 year old mom would want FCP or AVID, but she sure can use iLife. Life, for some, is too short to "have control" (or be controlled)... they just want it to work without spending a goodly portion of your time just discovering what the 200 buttons mean in a pro product. Hell, I'm pretty smart, but FCP was a nightmare to learn, and I still have issues on making someting watchable. So the verdict: Use your pro products, and let the vast majority of users in the country get something done.
i use final cut pro when i can't avoid it... i've done entire weddings in imovies and saved myself alot of time + strain. even though i know how to use fcp, i pefer imovie for fast slap and pack content creation.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:14 PM   #8
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmotion
i use final cut pro when i can't avoid it... i've done entire weddings in imovies and saved myself alot of time + strain.
Same here. I have to say FCP is (in my humble opinion) one of the top 25 apps of all time, and I use it when I want some of the capabilities not found in iM. But I'll also say in the same breath that iMove is ALSO in the top 25.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:34 PM   #9
uhlawboi80
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to uhlawboi80
id like to just point out that despite some good reviews from the corporate monkeys that reviewed it, cNet shows only 50% of customers recomended it. At PC Mag many customers gave it the lowest rating...from a quick glance near 50%. to me that is not a good product. one guy said it never would burn a CD and always locked up his system so he is trying to get his 100$ back. not sure ive ever heard any of the iApps locking down someones entire system and if anyone were to ever return it to Apple (which i doubt) they didnt spend 100$ on it to start with.
uhlawboi80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:45 AM   #10
jiggie2g
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawboi80
id like to just point out that despite some good reviews from the corporate monkeys that reviewed it, cNet shows only 50% of customers recomended it. At PC Mag many customers gave it the lowest rating...from a quick glance near 50%. to me that is not a good product. one guy said it never would burn a CD and always locked up his system so he is trying to get his 100$ back. not sure ive ever heard any of the iApps locking down someones entire system and if anyone were to ever return it to Apple (which i doubt) they didnt spend 100$ on it to start with.

Not to sound like a corporate monkey but i didn't bother to comment b4 on the customer reviews because , a huge majority of them never even tried the product and are just being spiteful because of prior Roxio products that turned out to be Lemons. Kinda like those idiots on Cnet who push the iPod rating to below 50% with stupid one line replys like " iPod sucks" . even though they may have never even tried one . some stupid force in the universe caused them to just decide to trash a product with out even trying it 1st.

as for those who did have a Legitimate problem with the software it seemed like there was a Issue previously that has now ben corrected with a downloadable patch from Roxio.

I just hate that type of stupidity and ignorance from people and simply feel that if you don't own or have not tired any product for yourself, you have no right to trash it and should just shut up.(Speaking in General)

Last edited by eyelikeart; Mar 23, 2004 at 10:49 PM.
jiggie2g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:04 AM   #11
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

ooops..... getting pretty hot in here.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 09:38 AM   #12
iindigo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iindigo
I don't know about you guys, but from the screenshots Roxio EMC 7's interface doesn't look as easy-to-use and just as generally as nice as Apple's iApps. And were the heck is the GarageBand equivelant in it?
iindigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events