Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXRANDOMANIMAL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
my macbook didn't even come with a remote. you have to pay an extra 20 bucks for it now.

heck i remember when i got my original iPod Photo it came with all the AV cables too. 20 bucks isn't really a big deal i just think it should come when you spend 1300 on a laptop.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Actually, its been years since a laptop shipped with a remote...

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
has it been years? i thought the previous generation macbooks shipped with one? IMO, i wouldnt have minded one, but i dont find myself really needing it.

azdunerat

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
I just downloaded a program for my Iphone that allowed me to use it as the remote control. I have a remote for the mini, but love being able to control everything with my phone. Pluse it was only .99 cents

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I just downloaded a program for my Iphone that allowed me to use it as the remote control. I have a remote for the mini, but love being able to control everything with my phone. Pluse it was only .99 cents

Way to talk about something completely different there hehe.

My refurbished MacBook came with a remote in a Brown Apple Box :D.

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
my macbook didn't even come with a remote. you have to pay an extra 20 bucks for it now.

heck i remember when i got my original iPod Photo it came with all the AV cables too. 20 bucks isn't really a big deal i just think it should come when you spend 1300 on a laptop.

When i got the brand new MacBook when hey first came out the g1, i got a remote, but ever since then have not seen it. I think it may have to do with why the hell do you need a remote for a laptop, i know no one who will sit across a room with a remote watching a 13 inch screen when it can be on your lap. The iMacs come with them... well it makes sense... 20 inch screen that isn't that portable.

Just my opinion i think they do not need remotes because it is pretty pointless.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Can I use the first Gen iphone was a remote I wonder? Might save me a few dollars as the mb aluminum needs one...

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
When Apple comes out with a new product, they usually sell it bare bones for a high price, then when they have updates to it, they lower the price, and/or add things like remote, a case, cables, etc.... Not always, but usually

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
I was upset that when I upgraded my iPhone 2g for a 3G and it no longer came with a dock:confused:

Part of the being affordable plan. Even my HP laptop bought 3 years ago came with a remote (900 bucks!), sucker :D. jk.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
If I recall correctly, the MacBook 3,1 -- November 2007 Santa Rosa chipset + Merom CPU, is the last generation that came with a bundled remote control; the next revision in February to the Penryn CPU dropped the remote control.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
When Apple comes out with a new product, they usually sell it bare bones for a high price, then when they have updates to it, they lower the price, and/or add things like remote, a case, cables, etc.... Not always, but usually

Most companies work like this. Apple does not. When Apple comes out with a new product, they usually sell it bare bones for a high price. The price does not change through subsequent revisions, and the only updates are to ensure that the product follows the current trend in bare-bones overpriced hardware.

Trivialities like adding features are done on a whim. Price reductions never, ever happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.