Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
When I was trying to create a new folder in the finder today (using single pane view), it REALLY didn't act as I'd think it should.

For example let's say I'm in the single pane view (second finder button from the left) and I have a hierarchical set of folders open. If I click File...New Folder, Finder creates a new folder in the highest level -- it doesn't respect where I am in the file hierarchy to create the new folder.

If I change my finder view to the ever-expanding option (third from the left) then it works as expected. It also seems to work correctly in the big view (first button on the left)

Is there a way to actually create a folder where you are in the single pane view?

--------------

It would be nice too if the folder display could collapse when clicked to give me a copy-able path I could then use in a command window (or better yet, if the bottom of the finder window were actually a shell command input area).

Thanks.

-- M

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
OK first lets work towards a common terminology
single pane = List View
Ever expanding = Column View
Big View = Icon View

Now that we're sorted, when you click on one of the exposure triangles in list view, it only opens that folder for viewing, it doesn't set it as the working directory, to do that you have to click on that folder to highlight it, just one click, not two. Then finder will use the highlighted directory for all menu operations. Notice that the path bar at the bottom changes to show the highlighted directory.

Hitting command+c will copy the path of the current directory to the clipboard. You can also either drag the folder whose path you want to the terminal, or drag the little icon at the top of the window.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I'm clearly a newbie. OK, thanks for the terminology help.

However, when I click the triangle so that it's pointing down, then click the folder once to highlight it (in LIST view <s>), then while that folder is highlighted, click (in Finder menu): File...New Folder. But....the folder still gets created higher in the hierarchy not below the highlighted folder.

So, it doesn't seem to work as you described.

???

----------------------------

Thanks for the COMMAND+C note. It's going to take a while to master all these great shortcuts.

-- M

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Damn, you're right, I should have checked that before opening my mouth. I guess the only way is to actually double click the folder.

I suppose this is what all those people were complaining about in the 'browser VS spatial mode' arguments, no matter what folder you're looking at the window is still the root of all finder actions.

Kind of annoying.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Hey, no problems whatsoever :)

I really appreciate the time you took to reply!!!

Thanks and have a great one.

Best,

- M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.