Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smittay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
i have 10.2 install discs 1 & 2

can i use an ibook to be a slave and put the install cds in that?

mainly, the guy's problem im trying to fix is that his daughter deleted the utilities folder from the iMac g3 running 10.2.8.

i want to upgrade him to 10.4 of which i have the disc install DVD.

what would be the easiest way to do this seeing the cd drive on the iMac G3 is busted, i have install discs 1 & 2 for 10.2 jaguar and the install dvd for 10.4 tiger? and his daughter erased the utilities folder on the iMac g3 with 10.2.8 on it :)

i can use his ibook with functional dvd-rom drive as a slave right?

thanks
smitt

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
i have 10.2 install discs 1 & 2

can i use an ibook to be a slave and put the install cds in that?

mainly, the guy's problem im trying to fix is that his daughter deleted the utilities folder from the iMac g3 running 10.2.8.

i want to upgrade him to 10.4 of which i have the disc install DVD.

what would be the easiest way to do this seeing the cd drive on the iMac G3 is busted, i have install discs 1 & 2 for 10.2 jaguar and the install dvd for 10.4 tiger? and his daughter erased the utilities folder on the iMac g3 with 10.2.8 on it :)

i can use his ibook with functional dvd-rom drive as a slave right?

thanks
smitt

You can indeed use a slave dvd-rom for this job, however, make sure there is one for which Jaguar has the drivers. Jaguar has been abandoned for years, and you should find something that Jaguar has pre-installed drivers for, and not 3rd party drivers, because when the install procedure starts, your computer may not take into consideration additional 3rd party drivers.

I have installed Tiger into my brother's iMac with an external DVD drive (without having installed any additional drivers) because he had his iMac's DVD drive broken. So I suppose it will work with Jaguar, too.

Also, an external disk image or an iPod may do the trick, although I am not sure about those...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.