Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1
vetteguy
macrumors newbie

Question iPod Question

Has anyone heard about a 4th Generation iPod commming out? (or when..) Now with most new cellphones comming out that have built-in bluetooth for wireless handsfree sets, do you think that it is possible that Apple would incorperate this into the next iPod? like no wires to the headsets...that would be sweet...
dan
vetteguy is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:15 AM   #2
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy
Has anyone heard about a 4th Generation iPod commming out? (or when..) Now with most new cellphones comming out that have built-in bluetooth for wireless handsfree sets, do you think that it is possible that Apple would incorperate this into the next iPod? like no wires to the headsets...that would be sweet...
dan
Yeah, that's just what I want....a bluetooth enabled iPod that has a shorter battery life and takes nine hours to transfer stuff over a very slow BT connection....
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:00 PM   #3
Mr Maui
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleretailguy
Yeah, that's just what I want....a bluetooth enabled iPod that has a shorter battery life and takes nine hours to transfer stuff over a very slow BT connection....
Maybe they just need to tune it to brainwaves and then it can be piped straight into our subconscious mind. I need to call Apple NOW!!!
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:10 PM   #4
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maui
Maybe they just need to tune it to brainwaves and then it can be piped straight into our subconscious mind. I need to call Apple NOW!!!
actually science *is* perfecting a method of using sonic waves to cause the skull and inner-ear to reverberate without producing true audio... so, sitting in complete silence, your skull would vibrate and your own head would become a pair of headphones. 'Twould be nice.

But, i think we have a better chance of seeing this incorporated than bluetooth. seriously... Dude, these rumors have been around for years now, take a look around the archives. The general gist is that bluetooth = pointless... too slow to update music, too complicated for use with headset...

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2004, 03:30 PM   #5
titaniumducky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy
dan
Apple's pretty secretive with new stuff - no one can tell you that they know for sure a new product's coming out and when unless they're lying.
titaniumducky is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2004, 05:16 PM   #6
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

From what I've heard, bluetooth only has anough bandwidth for mono sound, not stereo. Thats why phones use them, and no MP3 players have. As far as updating songs with bluetooth.... Well, if you're at your computer, why not just pop it in the dock or plug it in? Bluetooth would take forever to update songs...
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:23 PM   #7
Freakk123
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Freakk123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
From what I've heard, bluetooth only has anough bandwidth for mono sound, not stereo. Thats why phones use them, and no MP3 players have. As far as updating songs with bluetooth.... Well, if you're at your computer, why not just pop it in the dock or plug it in? Bluetooth would take forever to update songs...
Thats exactly right. Bluetooth would sound much worse than traditional wired headphones. It wouldn't be worth it. The price addition + the battery life reduction along with the loss of sound quality wouldn't be worth it for apple, or the consumer.
Freakk123 is offline   0
Old Apr 12, 2004, 04:13 PM   #8
nbs2
macrumors 68030

but what about the possability of using bluetooth to update the playlists - it wouldn't take more than a couple seconds, and synching songs and stuff could still be done over firewire. sometimes i don't want to update the songs, but it's a bit of a pain to have to find the cord to the power adapter and untangle everythign to get it plugged into my PB for one stupid 15 song playlist.

also, it could update the calander and contact lists. while i don't use the calander, the contact lists are kind of useful for people i just don't feel like having in my cell and addresses. is this asking too little for a feature that would probably drive up the price?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews