Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettatredback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Hi All -

With this configuration:
- apple tv
- macbook pro 1
- macbook pro 2
- airport extreme
- usb harddrive - could be plugged into the base station i guess but isn't planned to be unless there is some great reason.

How best do i share my itunes library? My laptop is the most heavily used and has 99% use of the library with regards to listening to, syncing to an iphone etc...So, should i just put it all on my laptop and share to the network for my wife's laptop and apple tv or is there some other configuration someone would recommend??

Thanks,
Brett

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If your library has 99% of the content, then sync the Apple TV from your MacBook Pro (via your hard drive attached to your AirPort Extreme).

Though Apple is being rumoured to be releasing an iTunes Server that all your Macs and Apple TVs access.

Beware of rumours though, you wait a lifetime to find out if it's true or not ;)

brettatredback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
If your library has 99% of the content, then sync the Apple TV from your MacBook Pro (via your hard drive attached to your AirPort Extreme).

Though Apple is being rumoured to be releasing an iTunes Server that all your Macs and Apple TVs access.

Beware of rumours though, you wait a lifetime to find out if it's true or not ;)

Thanks for that - I didn't quite understand the bit about 'hard drive attached to airport extreme'. I haven't attached the usb drive to the airport extreme yet - I am not really sure of the value in doing so compared to it sitting on my desk, wired to my macbook pro. Then, the apple tv just grabs data from my macbook pro right? Why 'via' the hard drive? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for that - I didn't quite understand the bit about 'hard drive attached to airport extreme'. I haven't attached the usb drive to the airport extreme yet - I am not really sure of the value in doing so compared to it sitting on my desk, wired to my macbook pro. Then, the apple tv just grabs data from my macbook pro right? Why 'via' the hard drive? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Well, I just assumed that since you have a MacBook Pro, you'd be taking advantage of it's portability. So by streaming it off the hard drive attached to your Airport Extreme, then you are free to walk about with it.

But remember, currently, everything goes through iTunes. So even if you attached your hard drive to your base station, you'd still have to have your MacBook Pro turned on with iTunes open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.