Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:21 AM   #1
aureiden
macrumors member

external hard drive won't eject

Supposedly, the external is in use and cannot be ejected, but i don't think it's in use. I've only recently been encountering this problem, and i have no idea why. I've tried quitting every application, but it still claims to be in use. Any ideas?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:23 AM   #2
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Try Finder. Control-option-click on the Finder icon and select Relaunch. It could be that Spotlight is indexing the drive, too.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:30 AM   #3
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020

There is a cool little free utility called "What's Keeping Me?" that will tell you exactly what is hanging it up. You can download it here- and I pretty much guarantee you will slap your forehead when it shows you the cause of the delay. I know I have every time I have had to use it!
sickmacdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
spellflower
macrumors regular

Okay, old thread, but it's what came up when I started having this problem.

Thanks, sickmacdoc, that program let me know that my drive was still being indexed by Spotlight.

My question is, why the heck can't Apple change the message from "the drive can't be ejected because it is in use" to "Spotlight is still indexing your drive. If you really need to eject it, click ok to stop indexing. Otherwise just wait a few minutes."?
spellflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:46 AM   #5
bpetruzzo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellflower View Post
Okay, old thread, but it's what came up when I started having this problem.

Thanks, sickmacdoc, that program let me know that my drive was still being indexed by Spotlight.

My question is, why the heck can't Apple change the message from "the drive can't be ejected because it is in use" to "Spotlight is still indexing your drive. If you really need to eject it, click ok to stop indexing. Otherwise just wait a few minutes."?
It's about damn time! I don't know why no one else has recommended that application. It works like a charm!

But I have to agree. If it's a process, like Spotlight, or in my case ClamX (which I didn't even know would be running in the background like this), why can't MacOS say something like, "_______ is accessing files on the drive you are trying to disconnect. To abort this process and eject click ok, or wait a few minutes and try again."?

Wouldn't it be safer to abort a process than hard ejecting a drive?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:09 AM   #6
guitarteachjc
macrumors newbie

PERFECT!!!! Same for me
guitarteachjc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Zandiman
macrumors newbie

Great Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRevolution View Post
Try Finder. Control-option-click on the Finder icon and select Relaunch. It could be that Spotlight is indexing the drive, too.
Thank you so much for this fix. It is the only fix I found which allows me to eject my USB drive safely AND THE easiest. Great job.
Zandiman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Pageajj10
macrumors newbie

Spotlight indexes immediately!

Hi all. The spotlight index issue seems to be what's holding me up. I downloaded What's Keeping Me (great program, super easy to use), and sure enough there were dozens of spotlight processes going on. I quit them all, but each time I try to eject my HD, I get the same "One or more programs may be using..." error message, and when I do another WKM search, sure enough there's one spotlight process. Quitting it and trying again just has the same result. I've also tried re-launching finder, with no success. I hate doing the force eject, especially because more than once it's failed to recognize the drive after that. Both times, disk utility has managed to repair it, but I don't want to risk that again.
Pageajj10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help