Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 15, 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Inserting a still image into video footage - how to?

I have a video scene that has a picture frame hanging on a wall in it. I would like to replace the content of the picture frame with a different image. The camera is not moving, so the frame's position on screen is fixed. The new image would have to be pasted just over that part. (There is movement in the background, so I can't just use a giant still image for the entire shot.)

Any idea how I could do that? Preferably in iMovie, or another application that I don't need to spend money on?
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:22 AM   #2
mogzieee
macrumors 6502a

In iMovie '09 (but only '09 to my knowledge), you can use the "Freeze Frame" feature. This also works in Final Cut Express.

Just go to the frame you want to make still, right click and choose "Add Freeze Frame".

Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Hmm...not sure if that is exactly what I am trying to do...it's tricky to explain.

I don't want to freeze the entire frame, cause there is movement on the left side of the screen. I just want to have a still image "hovering" over one part of the screen in a fixed position, while the scene is in motion.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:28 PM   #4
heron88
macrumors 6502

I know how to do it in Final Cut, but not in Imovie. In final cut, you just add a new video layer above your video, put the picture in it, shrink it to the size you want, and then drag it over the picture frame in your layer 1 video.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5
mrtune
macrumors 6502a

You can do picture-in-picture in iMovie 09. There's no reason that you couldn't use a image instead of video footage. Size it up and drag it over the picture you want to cover up.
mrtune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 01:52 AM   #6
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#imovie-picinpic

Create a clip (many frames) of a photo using the slide show feature. Then use the tutorial above to insert that clip.
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

I don't have iLife 09...

However, I found a way to do it in 08. You can overlay an image while the video is running. By giving that image a transparent background, you can have it cover only part of the screen, with the video running in the background.

But in another unexpected turn of events, I just ordered Adobe's CS4 Production Premium (Student), which contains Premiere. That should probably do the job!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:53 AM   #8
Courtaj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taustin Powers View Post
I just ordered Adobe's CS4 Production Premium (Student), which contains Premiere.
The allure of the Dark Side is strong, indeed . . .

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video