Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I'm getting my master's degree in a distance-learning program, and the faculty have recently set up a private bit-torrent tracker so we can easily share resources.

I've only ever used public trackers before, and only a couple of times, so I'm fairly new to this whole BT thing - be gentle. :) I was using Transmission before, but we just couldn't get the settings right to work with the tracker the school set up (specifically, it would download stuff fine, but it wouldn't seed). So I downloaded Vuze, and now have a couple questions.

1: On Transmission, there was the nifty "speed limit" button that let me quickly lower the total max bandwidth with one click -- very useful when my housemates needed more bandwidth. Is there an analogue in Vuze? What's the easiest way to temporarily cut my total bandwidth usage?

2: Is there any way to tell Vuze to prefer files on the private tracker when choosing what to seed? Ie, say I've set the max uploads to three. I have multiple files, a couple of which are school-related. Can I tell it to give those priority if there's someone trying to connect, regardless of all other factors?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Sorry if I offend anyone, but Vuze is one of the most bloated application I've ever seen, not to mention that it's in Java, which makes it even worst.

Do yourself a favor and grab the beta version of µTorrent Mac (Beta).

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I assume you meant to say "Vuze," not "Zune," right? :)

Will uTorrent let me do the things I mentioned in the original post (especially the speed limit)?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I assume you meant to say "Vuze," not "Zune," right? :)

Will uTorrent let me do the things I mentioned in the original post (especially the speed limit)?

Yeah, I meant "Vuze" not "Zune"... Both words sounds equally weird to me, which is probably why I made the error.

I think the best way for you to determine if uTorrent meets your requirements would be to install it. I do see settings for limiting the total download rate, the upload and seeding rate, and settings to stop seeding after a specific ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.