Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:33 PM   #1
adamjay
macrumors 6502a

Jaguar Users.... Ram Defragmenting, Freeing up HDD space, and Expose'.

Recently i've had to downgrade from Panther 10.3.3 to Jaguar 10.2.8 to run a specific audio software/hardware suite and i've spent some time looking for little app's to help optimize Jaguar since the GUI is just so damn slow to me (in comparison to Panther)

I found this nice application called TurboMem 1.1.1 It is a Ram Defragmenter that i have found to be quite useful in Panther. I've noticed my machine alot "zippier" when opening new applications, and closing applications and going into others. Its very configurable, and can be downloaded for free at http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6184
It also adds some zip to my 400mhz Powerbook that is still running 10.3.3
i say try it out for a couple days if you have less than 1GB of ram.

In my search i also found a program known as Delocalizer 1.1
This application deletes the Foreign Language support on your Mac.
Since i only use German and English, i deleted everything else and it free'd up 700MB on my hard drive!! You can specify which languages to leave and which to delete, very handy. Also a free download at http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9281

and lastly i found Windowshade, an application for Jaguar that is very similar to Panther's Expose'. Great for reverters like me.
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/wsx it's a $10 Shareware application but worth every penny i think.

Back to the reason i had to downgrade to Jaguar, it turns out i probably just have a bad A/V i/o hardware that came with the Audio suite i bought. So as soon as i get it replaced, will be going back to Panther 10.3.3 , but it is a good thing i had to downgrade because it gave me a reason to find and use some cool tools like the ones listed above.

Happy computing!
adamjay is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2
fBaran
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to fBaran
Holy Jeebus! 812mb freed up!
fBaran is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews