Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, I've got the update, but not noticing anything much straight off.
I allready used Silk for AA text, so I haven't benifited from that enhancement.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
and note, no upgrade for OS 9, looks like that we'll be stuck with 5.1 with OS9 for good.....

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
Re: uuhhmm

Originally posted by Grokgod
didnt we all have quart smoothing with the new silk, what else is new on this thing, sides new way for M$ to try to own us?

what number was that in your maclot list of canned responses?

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
While I like the Quartz support, since they didn't actually update the browser in any other appreciable way (um, that rendering engine is over two years old now) ... it's back to Moz for now.

Here's hoping IE6 is less anticlimactic.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Hell, I was impressed when I used IE 5.1 for OS 9. The speed of the tabs on the left, the smoothness of everything. The speed of the pages. With the IE version for OS 10, I was amazed. Everything got 75% slower! More unsmooth, and horrible. After seeing how omniweb and chimera work with drawers it makes you wonder wtf did M$ do?

Lets hope this 5.2 update will bring us something good. I mean I've been using Omniweb & Mozilla mostly. Netscape is just a copy of Mozilla, Chimera is cool but has tons of bugs and IE frankly sucks in OS 10.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Not to put too fine a point on it, but except for a very few exceptions, I cannot imagine why anyone would be using IE:

a) its MS...nuff said
b) it crashes more than every other mac program combined
c) OmniWeb and Mozilla are good enough to wean you off IE for 99% of tasks.

Who cares if they fixed a few leaks. Its garbage and you shouldn't be using it!!!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Originally posted by sjs
Not to put too fine a point on it, but except for a very few exceptions, I cannot imagine why anyone would be using IE:

a) its MS...nuff said

Who cares if they fixed a few leaks. Its garbage and you shouldn't be using it!!!

Exactly how I feel. Sjs you took the words out of my mouth/keyboard/head whatever!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by sjs

a) its MS...nuff said

Actually, from everything I have experienced OmniWeb, Mozilla, Chimera and those crash tons more then IE has on me. I can't remember the last time I had IE crash (more then a few months ago). Then again, I don't get many software crashes on my TiBook (preventative maintenace, do it or shut the F up).

I won't purchase any software from M$, but free is still free.

Oh btw, I don't use beta software...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by sjs

a) its MS...nuff said

I use mainly OmniWeb and IE, occasionally Mozilla and OmniWeb crashes on me quite regularly, IE very rarely crashes, and so as a result I use it most of the time...

...unless...I know I'm going to be browsing a site with loads of popups, then I use OmniWeb because of it's feature to prevent windows from opening themselves.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
thats weird

OW crashes almost never. I wonder if you have the latest beta? It has made big improvements just in the past several weeks.

IE crashes almost ever time I use (or so it seems!)

Anyway, don't use IE. Trust me on this. You'll feel better about yourself:D

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
preventative maintenance

I get my pm advice from some blunt guy from Mass and I use Norton. It helps.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Re: thats weird

Originally posted by sjs
OW crashes almost never. I wonder if you have the latest beta? It has made big improvements just in the past several weeks.

yeah OW NEVER CRASHES! The few times are when you have over 7 windows open with me and that was with sneakypeek 16, now were at sneakypeek 90 (last time I checked).

Omniweb is great. You can't really call sneakypeek's beta's. They are just as jammed packed as the others and they don't crash unlike beta software. Mozilla doesn't crash often but more than OW. But the engine is very fast now, beats M$ anyday in speed and in JS.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: thats weird

Originally posted by sjs

I've said it before, and I will say it again, I don't use beta software. It's beta for a f*cking reason (unfinished/unstable).

Maybe you have some deeper issues with your system then just ie... on the computer that is, I don't even want to think about your other issues.

Trust you??? LMAO!!! yeah, right, NOT!

Oh, and I use ie for the web mail system we have through work, since it works no problem with it... I installed the new ie earlier today, and guess what, no crashes. :p

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, I hate to say this, but I think they got it right. Pages are loading very fast, the css support is second to none the Mac. The scrolling is now very fast on my machine. This was not the case with 5.1 and silk. In fact, I uninstalled silk right afterward, because scrolling was a nightmare.

Anyway, the MBU doesn't do things the way that the rest of Microsoft does obviously, so, be open minded, and try it. It ain't that bad.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Re: Re: thats weird

Originally posted by AlphaTech

I've said it before, and I will say it again, I don't use beta software. It's beta for a f*cking reason (unfinished/unstable).

Maybe you have some deeper issues with your system then just ie... on the computer that is, I don't even want to think about your other issues.

Trust you??? LMAO!!! yeah, right, NOT!

Oh, and I use ie for the web mail system we have through work, since it works no problem with it... I installed the new ie earlier today, and guess what, no crashes. :p

Sneakypeeks are not like Beta software. Doesn't crash and full features. You don't find that in beta software!

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Alpha, you don't trust me? I am so hurt. And that remark about "protruding eyebrows"... I resemble that remark. Here I thought we were friends. I forgive you cause I know its just your yankee upbringing.:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: Re: thats weird

Originally posted by dantec
Sneakypeeks are not like Beta software. Doesn't crash and full features. You don't find that in beta software!

Not 'like beta software' does that mean it's a full release?? :p I have plenty of bookmarks in ie that I don't want to go through the hassle of transferring, as well as more then a few other items stored there. It does everything I ask of it, and doesn't f*ck up on displaying sites (like omnieweb and chimera do). The webmail system for work ONLY work with either ie (official company endorsed browser) or netscape (none of the others are supported, period). That has become a major feature for me, since I don't need to ask for a RAS account to get email while I am at home now. Nor do I need to hope that the forwarding rules I set in place are going to function.

If you want to use the other browsers, go right ahead. There is nothing you can say that will get me to switch to what you are using. When you have something that does what you tell it, and you don't have to grab a beta version just to get the features available in another (free) browser, you tend to stick with it. I have much better things to do with my time then to d*ck around with alternate browsers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.