Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbiegoodfello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Hi
I recently bought an imac g4 1ghz as my ibook fell into the sink due to my toddler.
I havent got a lot of money but noticed on Ebay there was a 20" screen up for grabs that was going pretty cheap.
I was wondering if there was a way to convert my existing 15" screen to the 20" as I thought it would be pretty cool for the kids so they can watch there cbeebies and the like.
If you know give us a shout.

Cheers
Robbie

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
That might be possible but I don't think that'll be wise. The 20" model weighed about 20lbs more over the 15" models(about twice the weight) because of the extra weight and size of the LCD. I don't think the neck of the 15" would support it either. It would just topple over into the sink ;).

You could always duct tape a cinder block to the base of your 15" to support the extra weight :D.

robbiegoodfello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
cheers mate ill keep that in mind, ill have to use a a big piece of yorkshire stone though...it would look so much prettier:)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
No problem. Just keep us posted and take lots of pics if you decide do it.

I'm looking to get a 17"(would love the 20") iMac and mod it with a touchscreen for use in the kitchen. Would stream music/movies and internet to look up recipes. I'm also gonna dye it black too. ;)

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
I dont think its possible, besides the weight issue there are power issues to deal with, I don't think the power inverter for a 15" could handle the 20" and connecting the vga/dvi wiring or whatever wouldn't match up.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I dont think its possible, besides the weight issue there are power issues to deal with, I don't think the power inverter for a 15" could handle the 20" and connecting the vga/dvi wiring or whatever wouldn't match up.

Both are correct, different video connectors (IIRC) and also it won't be able to power the larger display.

robbiegoodfello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
oh plums that puts end to that idea then...will just have to wait till ebay offers a twenty inch at the price this gypsy can afford.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.