Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kennedy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
In my eyes, the future of computing will be an iPhone-esque device. Each person will have a single mobile unit, that plugs into a dock (desktop in the future) seamlessly networked in the home/office.

The iPhone will have:
-a touch, 1080p OLED display
-accelerometer
-120gb Flash Drive
-~3.0ghz Intel Processor (future Atom)
-4gb memory
-10mp camera, with HD video function
-FM HD-radio tuner, or satellite radio
-RFID for use as a credit card/ID tag (it's your wallet)
-fully functioning GPS, turn-by-turn, Lojack-type system
-revamped OS capable of everything we are used to on a laptop, with a mobile interface

The Dock will:
-be connected to a touch, 1080p OLED monitor, mouse, and keyboard wirelessly
-be connected to a 1TB Airport basestation
-have it's own physical memory, ~8gb
-sync completely with iPhone, but use a full scale OS, transferring all data seamlessly between the two.

This is the start of my future home network. All of you Mac geniuses probably will laugh at my goofiness, but hey, one can dream.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Hmm... maybe 7-10 years before we see all of that in one device.
I don't understand the dock part though.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

interesting

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
How many times must it be said...1080p on that small of a screen is useless! There is no way you would even be able to see that kind of detail.

Kennedy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
1080p...just as storage sizes get bigger, so will resolution sizes. In 7-10 years, regardless of our ocular capacity, 1080p will be today's SD.

Storage...fine, 1TB. Happy?

GPS...I mean with turn-by-turn. Worldwide. Satellite imaging. Efficiency planning, gas stops, ethanol stops, charge stations, fuel cell stations, whatever the hell our cars use. It'll have all the geographic information you could possibly want.

Basically, yes, it's a laptop in a phone format. Plug it into a dock, and it will basically be a desktop.

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
1080p...just as storage sizes get bigger, so will resolution sizes. In 7-10 years, regardless of our ocular capacity, 1080p will be today's SD.

I'm not saying it won't, I'm just doubtful they will ever make a 1080p, like 3 inch screen. It. Is. Pointless. Once we have robotic eyes that can actually see that though...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.