Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G©H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hi

*This is for 10.5 only*

After much trial an error I've found a reliable way to get the iPhone syncing with Google calendars and iCal. Once setup the syncing works in every direction:

iPhone to Google (both ways)
Google to iCal (both ways
iCal to iPhone (both ways)

When I first tried to upload my iCal .ics files to Google, I kept getting the an error message "Calendar is not available. Please try again in a few minutes." The upload worked fine if it was a newly created calendar with a couple of entries but my Home iCal file goes back years and I wanted to keep it intact.

So follow these steps and it works great.

Part 1: Get your iCal calendars onto Google calendars

1. Backup iCal (File/Backup iCal)
2. Backup iPhone (connect to iTunes, let it do its thing)
I then went to the info tab and told iTunes NOT to put my calendars on iPhone. I don't know if this point is necessary since they are removed automatically later but I did it anyway.
3. Download Spanning sync http://spanningsync.com/
There is a 15 day free trial but you only need to run it once to get your calendar(s) onto Google
4. Create calendars on Google calendar that you wish to be copies of the ones on iCal
5. Run Spanning Sync and sync your iCal calendar with the Google versions
6. Your calendars are now on Google and ready to be synced to your iPhone and iCal

Part 2: Setup Google Sync for your iPhone

1. Follow Google's instructions here:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252
WARNING: This will remove the any calendars from your phone so make sure you have done a backup (see Part 1, step 2)
2. In step 12 & 13 of Google's instructions make sure you only sync calendars, NOT contacts as this will replace your contacts on your phone with your contacts list in GMail. So have Mail and Contacts set to OFF.
3. To setup which calendars you want on your iPhone, if you have more than 1 on Google, go to http://m.google.com/sync in Safari on your iPhone. Log in and check which calendars you wish to sync.
4. You now have your iPhone syncing with Google calendar.

Part 3: Setup your Google calendars in iCal

1. Download Calaboration http://code.google.com/p/calaboration/downloads/list
2. Run this, log in to your Google account and check which Google calendars you want to add to iCal
3. They now appear in the sources of iCal. You delete or turn off the versions that are stored locally in iCal.

Done!

Cheers
G©H

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
My setup works very well and the same way (all three calendars synced) without spanningsync. Just export your iCal and import the ics files in Google Calendar. I am using Google Calaboration Tool only (and the Google Sync and Microsoft Exchange of course).

G©H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
You will not need to use Spanning Sync if Google will accept your exported .ics file.

It wouldn't accept mine

"When I first tried to upload my iCal .ics files to Google, I kept getting the an error message "Calendar is not available. Please try again in a few minutes." The upload worked fine if it was a newly created calendar with a couple of entries but my Home iCal file goes back years and I wanted to keep it intact."

This is the workaround...

Cheers

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
because the mail is not supported. wouldn't that kill your battery? having push and fetch at the same time?

phoenixsuns

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
does this work with...

subscription calendars too? what i mean is i have four subscription calendars in ical. if i sync with gcal, does gcal automatically use the subscription source? or should i set up gcal with the subscription calendars?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the tips. I've already started some convoluted work-arounds, and it's kind of annoying that I can't just export from iCal/import to Google, but I guess sometimes that's just what happens. I did everything you suggested minus the Spanning Sync (which just seems like an extraneous step that shouldn't be necessary to begin with), so when I get some time maybe I'll square it all up with this.

Thanks again!

shipspeed

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
alternative work-around

hi, i had similar problems exporting iCal ics and importing into Google Calendar. the following work-around was successful for me:

1) export ics file from source, e.g. mac ical
2) download and install mozilla sunbird: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/
3) import ics file into sunbird
4) export csv file from sunbird (it's *critical* you export in csv format, not ics)
5) import csv file into google Calendar

sunbird does a good job of cleaning up messy ics files. note, however, it does not successfully copy recurring events. hope that helps some folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.