Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
alecksh
macrumors newbie

Problems After Opening Up 12" Powerbook

Forgive me if this post turns out a bit long. Just recently I took apart my 12" Powerbook to replace the DC-in port. Being the kind of tinkerer that I am, I saw the painstakingly long process of taking it apart as a fun and challenging experience. I don't know how many times I cursed myself for this while hardly breathing and hunched over my small laptop careful not to lose any of the 3,283 screws that I had to keep track of.

Anyway! I managed to replace the DC-in correctly, but of course screwed a couple other things up in the process. After putting the shell back together with all it's parts in the correct places I found some new oddities to exist.

1) Whenever I apply pressure on either side of the trackpad, or even from underneath, the screen grays out and the kernel panic warning appears telling me to do a hard shut down.

2) If headphones or speakers aren't plugged into the headphone jack there is a loud hiss that comes from the speakers in the laptop, maybe more from the left one, but I have not kept the headphones unplugged long enough to find out because of the next strange symptom.

3) If I do take the headphones out sometimes the screen will turn off. Not black-out, but just turn off as if the computer has shut down. The laptop is apparently still running because the caps lock and num lock still light up if pressed. Nothing I do seems to fix it while the computer's still on so I'm forced to turn the computer off and hope that when I turn it back on the screen will come on as well - which in some cases, doesn't work out. I'll then have to try all the usual methods - resetting the pram, taking out the battery, praying.

From the small amount of similar symptoms I've come across while frantically Googling about these issues, I've learned it might be two things: there's a problem with the logic board, or there are some loose wires. I am hoping the latter.

I have yet to re-open the monster, as it takes a dedicated chunk out of the day, so now my laptop is a desktop. I'm too scared to touch it, move it, put it in my backpack, breath on it, etc. Any ideas, or reaffirmations as to what could be the problem would be much more help than I've received so far.

I hate to say that I wish I'd have never opened it up, especially because after I did, I figured out that it wasn't the DC-in that was having trouble - it was the power adapter that needed replacing. Much face-palming ensued thereafter.
alecksh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:40 PM   #2
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

For the trackpad and display, I'd say that's prolly loose wires in there. Your only choice is to rip the bugger apart again and reseat everything

As for the sound, eef, that sounds really kinda bad. Re-check the connections inside, perhaps something's backwards or something.

Best of luck! Here's to keeping your 12" PowerBook going for years to come
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:18 AM   #3
alecksh
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Righto! Thanks for the reply, I'm crossing my fingers it's a loose connection. I wanna try my hardest to keep this little guy going, it weighs less than most of the textbooks in my backpack!
alecksh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs