Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
I am frustrated. I have a WRT54GL Wireless Router and I used to have speed of 54 Mbps at all times... now I struggle to get 36, and only operate at 24 most of the time.

Could someone please help me boost my speed?

I have tried:
- Router power cycle
- Modem power cycle
- Calling Comcast, who said the modem was doing great
- Reseting the internet signal

What else can I try??

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
Even though your comcast service is going to be limited to speeds much lower than even 24 Mbps, if you want to make sure you are getting the best signal possible between your machine and your router, I would try adjusting the channel that your wireless network is on.

Its possible that another wireless net in the area is operating on the same channel, or a nearby channel. This will introduce interference into your own network, which can bring down throughput.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I am having the exact same problem! I was just about to post.

I used to have amazing internet, but now that I've added 3 iMacs, an Airport Express, an Xbox 360, and a Wii (all connected wirelessly) I can't get fast speeds. I download a lot of video through iTunes, and browse a lot. What's the problem? Could it be bandwith?

rocknpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
I am having the exact same problem! I was just about to post.

I used to have amazing internet, but now that I've added 3 iMacs, an Airport Express, an Xbox 360, and a Wii (all connected wirelessly) I can't get fast speeds. I download a lot of video through iTunes, and browse a lot. What's the problem? Could it be bandwith?

Doubt it... I used to live with 2 guys in an apt and they had:
- mbox
- ps3
- dish
- pc
all hardwired to the 4 outs in my router... and i could STILL GET 54Mbps!

I have to say changing the channel helped a little, at least it goes up sometimes... I'll have to experiment different channels (frequencies).

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.